Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Memory and Transfer
Transcript of Memory and Transfer
Building Background knowledge of brain Memory:
Teachers need to use a combination of strategies in lessons to engage learners instead of just lecturing.
1. add visuals (gains retention)
2. Teaching others ( Students teaching students)
3. learn by doing
Have you ever experienced this in your classroom?
- lowest retention from students compared to other instructional methods (Sousa)
- Students are not involved in the lesson
- Plenty of information is given in a short period of time. (Not following the magic number of 7 (Y. ))
Today, we will:
1. learn the importance of the brain
2. factors that affect learning
3. Strategies to improve memory and learning
Factor that affects retention: Lecture and Direct instruction
In order for students to retain information and improve their memory teachers
build a positive classroom climate
- When student feel positive in a classroom endorphins(good feel chemical) are released in the brain (Sousa)
-More successful/ learning is more enjoyable for students(Sousa)
- When students are ecstatic they perform better
Strategies to promote a positive classroom environment:
-"Effective feedback and praise are significant teaching tools that need to be implemented by teachers in order to promote students’ learning and foster a positive relationship between the teacher and students (Al-Ghamdi)."
- Invest time to get know your students
Examples in class:
1. Do not use feedback as "Good Job"
Be specific to what was done well.
2. Praise- be specific
3. Know your students! Ask about their weekend. Follow up on stories or events that are significant to them.
Note: If students are gloomy (negative) cortisol starts navigating to the brain and body activating defensive behaviors (Sousa, David A.)
-supplies more oxygen to the brain (Sousa)
-endorphins in blood when laughter occurs (Sousa, David A.)
-lower stress and blood pressure (Sousa)
- creates a positive environment
Strategies for Humor in lessons:
- Start your lesson with a joke/ story( attention getter)
-Use picture/ visuals to provide humor
- Do not use sarcasm
Teach new material first!
- First 10 minutes of the lesson is prime time
- Students will recall most information between this time (Sousa)
- New information first proceed to practice next since it will help the student learn and organize information
ONLY CORRECT INFORMATION!!
1. Be prepared during each lesson. Do not waste time of prime time. Do not take time to collect HW, review previous skills from the day before , or read announcements
2. Teach new material
3. long classes- chuck
4. "More retention occurs when lessons are shorter and meaningful(Sousa)"