Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Milky Way
- The Milky Way is a collection of stars, dust, gasses, and dark matter,
~ The disk contains all of the spiral arms.
The Sagittarius Arm,
the Perseus Arm,
the Local Arm,
the Carina Arm,
the Norma Arm,
the Scutum Arm
and the Outer Arm.
~ The disk is where most of the stars in the Milky Way exist.
The Central Bulge
- The Central Bulge is a tightly packed group of stars within a larger formation.
- It’s made of gas, dust, and stars.
and Stacy Bott
The Milky Way consists of
The disk (which includes the arms of the galaxy),
and the Galactic Bulge
What Is An Arm?
- The arms of the Milky Way are parts of the disk that surround the Milky Way.
- They are made up of bright small stars and a collection of gas and dust. -
- The stars are the reason that the arms shine so brightly.
- The Halo is the, large, dark, area that surrounds the galaxy.
- The Halo is made of hot gas and dark matter
-The Milky Way's mass is about 200-600 billion times that of the Sun, being about 100,000 light-years in diameter
(a light year is about 5,878,630,000,000 miles long)
FACT: Ancient greeks used to call it “Galaxies Kuklos” meaning “milk circle”
The Virgo Supercluster
- It may be surprising, but the Milky Way is part of an even BIGGER body known as the Virgo Supercluster
- The Virgo Supercluster is thought by scientists to be within 150 million light years
- This Cluster is home to about 2,000 galaxies (Like our Galaxy, the Milky Way)
- A long time ago, a theory was made by Greek Philosophers that the Milky Way might have been a collection of stars
- In 1610 a man named Galileo Galilei got the first proof of this.
- He got this proof when he looked through his telescope and noticed endless stars, making up our Milky Way
- In Latin, the milky way is called Via Lactea; meaning road of milk
- It was named this because of a strip of stars seen from earth that looked like a milky patch of the sky that went around the earth.
FACT: The sun is one of about 200 billions stars
FACTS: The Milky Way is 13.2 billion years old
-The Earth is about a thousand trillion times smaller than the size of the Milky Way