Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
~ Classroom Management ~
Transcript of ~ Classroom Management ~
What do you know about Classroom Management?
-Perennialism: Training the will and the mind, structure, contemplation, prayer
-Progressivism: Democratic, participatory
-Behaviorism: Expecting good behavior, rewards and penalities
-Essentialism: Discipline, exposed to fundmental knowledge
-Social Reconstructionism: Climate of inquiry, community building, conflict resolution
-Postmodernism: Nonthreatening, supportive, individual choice
What philosophy do you connect your mentor teacher to?
Discussion in Groups
What classroom management skills have you seen your practicum teacher display?
"...You can implement strategies that will eventually allow you to focus less on managing and more on teaching."
Discipline and classroom management are not synonymous.
Standards and Objectives
Advice from the article..
Nine Pieces of Advice
1. The first day will make or break your school year.
2. Consistency is crucial.
3. Manage classroom rather than disciplining the classroom.
4. Help students contribute to a positive learning environment.
5. Use no more than five clear rules written in positive form.
6. Never embarrass students in front of their peers.
7. Build strong partnerships with students.
8. Lessons should be brisk and cues should be given to keep students focused.
9. Deliver brain-friendly lessons
Relate the philosophies of education to your own beliefs about teaching and learning
• Foundations students will be able to apply educational philosophies to classroom management.
• Foundation students will be able to evaluate effective classroom management skills after the class period has ended.
How were these management skills effective in the classroom?
Webb, L.D., Metha, A., & Jordan, K. F. (2013).
Foundations of American Education, 7th Edition,
Boston, MA: Pearson.
New Teacher Survival Guide: Classroom Management. (Video File).
"Principal's Office: Classroom Management During Student Teaching" PDF from: Daniels, K. Patterson, G., & Dunston, Y. (2011).
The Ultimate Student Teaching Guide
. Los Angeles, CA: Sage.
Keep desk clear of distractions
Keep phones away!
Use the paper and pencil to begin brainstorming your ideas on classroom management
If you finish early, you can flip your paper over and doodle until class begins
What are your goals of classroom management after hearing about the key ideas and advice given?
How will your beliefs affect your classroom management?
Key Ideas from Video
Don't be afraid to seek additional help
Set up daily routines
Strategies for individuals
Putting your hand up to your mouth
Strategies for classroom