Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Social media for academics
Transcript of Social media for academics
Who am I..?
Nature, Discover, Earth Touch etc
@protohedgehog (don't ask)
What the heck is social media??
The almighty Twitter
Outlet for blogs etc.
Digital conference attendance
Post-publication peer review #openscience
Networking, 21st century style
Jobs, grants, events
Really damn fast
Science communication - new audiences
Your online profile
Impact case studies (oh, hi REF)
Time keeps slipping away
=> Think strategically
It's just writing about your breakfast isn't it? And totally just for hipsters.
Guest blogging/group blogs
Practice writing skills
Collect and share thoughts
Science communication outlet
Open up research
Get invited to badass conferences
Is it worth it?
Blog statistics - hits, comments
Altmetrics - social media shares
The anecdotal stuff
Does blogging enhance your academic profile?
Aidan Horner: Views on blogging are polarised, a lot like marmite
Chris Chambers: Being anti-blogging is "..narrow ivory-tower hypocritical bollocks."
To wit.. What does it even mean to be an academic these days?