Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of HAIKU
Haiku is a form of poetry, first made popular in Japan, which has become appreciated around the world. Haiku poets are challenged to convey a vivid message in only 17 syllables.
Zero Tolerance to Plagiarism
Plagiarism a failing grade for an assignment or a whole course.
• Use exactly 17 syllables
• Syllables are arranged in three lines of 5-7-5
• Avoid similes and metaphors
• Refers to a season of the year
Haiku poems can describe anything, but are seldom complicated or hard to understand. Almost all Haiku has a dominant impression, or main idea, that appeals strongly to one of the five senses.
Each Haiku must contain a kigo, a season word, which indicates what season of the year the Haiku is set. For example, blossoms would indicate spring, snow would give the idea of winter, mosquitos would imply summertime. The seasonal words isn't always that obvious, you might needs to consider the theme of the poem to find it. For example:
Clouds appear and bring -
to men a chance to rest from
looking at the moon
The seasonal word in this Haiku is clouds, indicating the rainy season.
Now, write your own haiku
concise - marked by brevity of expression or statement;
expressing much in few words; clear and precise
wordy - Tending to use, using, or expressed in more words than are necessary to convey meaning.
Excessive wordiness or repetition in expression.
Suzie believed but could not confirm that Billy had feelings of affection for her.
Suzie assumed that Billy adored her.
Before the travel agent was completely able to finish explaining the various differences among all of the many very unique vacation packages his travel agency was offering, the customer changed her future plans.
Before the travel agent finished explaining the differences among the unique vacation packages his travel agency was offering, the customer changed her plans.
For more details go to the Writers Studio homepage on MySCAD
includes: buying, stealing, or borrowing a paper (including, of course, copying an entire paper or article from the Web); hiring someone to write your paper for you; and copying large sections of text from a source without quotation marks or proper citation.
How to avoid plagiarism?
• Words or ideas presented in a magazine, book, newspaper, song, TV program, movie, Web page, computer program, letter, advertisement, or any other medium
• Information you gain through interviewing or conversing with another person, face to face, over the phone, or in writing
• When you copy the exact words or a unique phrase
• When you reprint any diagrams, illustrations, charts, pictures, or other visual materials
• When you reuse or repost any electronically-available media, including images, audio, video, or other media
Although paraphrasing techniques are used in summary writing,
paraphrasing does not aim to shorten the length of a text, merely to
restate the text.
Evidence of a lost civilisation has been found off the coast of China.
could be paraphrased:
Remains of an ancient society have been discovered in the sea near China
A good paraphrase is significantly different from the wording of the
original, without altering the meaning at all.
a) Changing vocabulary:
studies > research
society > civilisation
mud > deposits
b) Changing word class:
Egypt (n.) > Egyptian (adj.)
mountainous regions (adj. + n.) > in the mountains (n.)
c) Changing word order:
Ancient Egypt collapsed > the collapse of Egyptian society began
and academic composition
Haiku Animation by Tiffany Davis
Motion Graphic : Haiku by ccmoe
Haiku - inspired by Arakida Moritake (1473-1549) by Arjuno Kecil
Jack Kerouac American Haiku by micofilm
HAIKU IN BROOKLYN by Stefano Maria Palombi