Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Rizal's educational background
Transcript of Rizal's educational background
José Rizal as a student at the University of Santo Tomas
Without his parents' knowledge and consent, but secretly supported by his brother Paciano, he traveled alone to Madrid, Spain in May 1882 and studied medicine at the Universidad Central de Madrid where he earned the degree, Licentiate in Medicine. Also, he also attended medical lectures at the University of Paris and the University of Heidelberg. In Berlin he was inducted as a member of the Berlin Ethnological Society and the Berlin Anthropological Society under the patronage of the famous pathologist Rudolf Virchow. Following custom, he delivered an address in German in April 1887 before the Anthropological Society on the orthography and structure of the Tagalog language. He left Heidelberg a poem, "A las flores del Heidelberg", which was both an evocation and a prayer for the welfare of his native land and the unification of common values between East and West.
At Heidelberg, the 25-year-old Rizal, completed in 1887 his eye specialization under the renowned professor, Otto Becker. There he used the newly invented ophthalmoscope (invented by Hermann von Helmholtz) to later operate on his own mother's eye. From Heidelberg, Rizal wrote his parents: "I spend half of the day in the study of German and the other half, in the diseases of the eye. Twice a week, I go to the bierbrauerie, or beerhall, to speak German with my student friends." He lived in a Karlstraße boarding house then moved to Ludwigsplatz. There, he met Reverend Karl Ullmer and stayed with them in Wilhelmsfeld, where he wrote the last few chapters of Noli Me Tángere.
Rizal goes to Binan,Laguna:
- June, 1869 Rizal left for Binan
- Was accompanied by Paciano his older brother
- He was taught by Maestro Justiniano
- In academic studies, Rizal beat all Binan boys
- He surpassed them all in Spanish, Latin, and other subjects
Rizal’s first teachers:
- was his mother she was patient, conscientious and , understanding
- she discovered that her son had a talent for poetry
- she encouraged him to write poems
2. Private Tutors of Rizal
- Maestro Celestino
- Maestro Lucas
- Leon Monroy
Jose Rizal's educational background
Colegio de San Juan de Letran
Ateneo de Manila University
University of Santo Tomas Faculty
of Medicine and Surgery
Complutense University of Madrid
University of Santo Tomas
University of Paris
Life and Studies in Ateneo
- Ateneo De Municipal established by the Jesuits
- Rizal entered in 1872
- He belonged to the class composed of Spaniards, mestizos and Filipinos
- His teacher was Fr. Jose Bech
- He was considered as an inferior and was placed at the buttom of the class
- By the end of the month he became the emperor and received a prize, a religious picture
- To improve his Spanish Rizal took private lessons in Santa Isabel College
- During his 4th year in Ateneo he received 5 medals and graduated as sobresaliente
- He graduated on March 23, 1877(16 years old)
- Received the degree of bachelor of arts, with highest honors not a valedictiorian
Medical Studies in University of Sto. Thomas (1877-1882)
- After graduating , he continued his education at UST
- He finished a year in Philosophy and Letters
- He decided to shift to a medical course
- UST was under the Dominicans , rival of the Jesuits in education
- Remained loyal to Ateneo participated in extracurricular activities in Ateneo and completed a course in surveying
- As a Thomasian he won more literary laurels
- During his first term in 1877-1878 in UST, he studied Cosmology, Metaphysics , Theodicy and History of Philosophy.
- It was during the school term 1878-1879 that Rizal pursued his studies in medicine
Pre- Med Course
- Curso de Ampiacion or Advanced course in Physics, Chemistry and Natural History.
- Out of the 28 young men taking Ampliacion only four including Rizal were granted the privilege of taking simultaneously the preparatory course and the first year of medicine
- Rizal also received his four year practical training in medicine at the Hospital de San Juan de Dios in Intramuros
- During his last year at the University, Rizal had obtained the global grade of Notable(Very Good) in all of his subjects, and he was the second best student in a decimated class of seven who passed the medicine course. After which, Rizal decided to study in Spain.
Academic Journey To Spain ( 1882-1885 )
- His departure for Spain was kept secret from Spanish Authorities, friars and even his parents especially his mother because she would not allow him to go
- To avoid detection , he used the name Jose Mercado
- On May 3, 1882 he boarded on Salvadora bound for Singapore where he was the only Filipino passenger
- On November 3, 1882, he enrolled in Universidad Central de Madrid taking up two courses: Philosophy an Letters and Medicine
- On June 21, 1884 , he conferred the degree of Licentiate in Medicine
- The Following academic year , he studied and passed all subjects leading to the degree of doctor of medicine
- Unfortunately, he was not able to submit the thesis required for graduation nor paid the corresponding fees
- With that, he was not awarded his Doctor’s Diploma
- Jose Rizal also finished his studies in Philosophy and Letters with higher grades
- He was awarded the Degree of Licentiate in Philosophy and Letters by the Universidad Central de Madrid June 19, 1885 with the rating of excellent.
Opthalmology studies and travels in Europe
- Jose Rizal went to Paris and Germany in order to specialize in ophthalmology. Among all branches, he chose this specialization because he wanted to cure his mother’s failing eyesight.
- In 1885, after studying at the Universidad Central de Madrid, Rizal, who was then 24 years old, went to Paris to acquire more knowledge in ophthalmology
Rizal friends in Europe:
- Maximo Viola
- Senor Eusebio Corominas
- Don Miguel Morayta
- Dr. Louis de Weckert
Resons Why Rizal choose to reside in germany longer:
- to gain further his studies in science and languages
- to observe the economic and political conditions of the German nation
- to associate with the famous scientists and scholars
- lastly to publish his novel Noli Me Tangere