Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Untitled Prezi
Semantics & Pragmatics
What is Semantics?
Semantics is the study of the relation between form and meaning
what is Pragmatics?
It is Concerned with the study of meaning as communicated by a speaker (or writer) and interpreted by a listener ( or reader). in short it is the study of speaker meaning.
Blowing a whistle
" I am hungry "
What Can we conclude from this example?
1- We have the same sentence
2- We have different participants and situations which lead to different intentions from the speakers. Therefore, different utterances.
* Spoken utterances are distinguished from sentences by enclosing them with quotation marks.
Is a construction of words in a particular sequence which is meaningful.
Is the meaning of the sentence in context with the situation and circumstances that's revolving around the discourse
One should distinguish between the
can be a part of a
* Two types of Discourse:
A spoken discourse doesn't only consist of words but more than that.
In speech, meaning can be derived from what you said and how you said it.
– Intonation: pitch and boundaries
– Timing within intonation phrases
: nodding the head or pretending to yawn
example: ps-st, sh-sh, m-m-m
Prosody = Accent + Intonation
What did you say?
a Spanish tourist asking
" how can I go to Kingston street?"
" Sorry. What did you say?"
My friends found the movie a bit boring.
And you? What did you say?
I am so excited
ex- This is the place
Information sought versus repetition requested