Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Untitled Prezi
Semantics & Pragmatics
What is Semantics?
Semantics is the study of the relation between form and meaning
what is Pragmatics?
It is Concerned with the study of meaning as communicated by a speaker (or writer) and interpreted by a listener ( or reader). in short it is the study of speaker meaning.
Blowing a whistle
" I am hungry "
What Can we conclude from this example?
1- We have the same sentence
2- We have different participants and situations which lead to different intentions from the speakers. Therefore, different utterances.
* Spoken utterances are distinguished from sentences by enclosing them with quotation marks.
Is a construction of words in a particular sequence which is meaningful.
Is the meaning of the sentence in context with the situation and circumstances that's revolving around the discourse
One should distinguish between the
can be a part of a
* Two types of Discourse:
A spoken discourse doesn't only consist of words but more than that.
In speech, meaning can be derived from what you said and how you said it.
– Intonation: pitch and boundaries
– Timing within intonation phrases
: nodding the head or pretending to yawn
example: ps-st, sh-sh, m-m-m
Prosody = Accent + Intonation
What did you say?
a Spanish tourist asking
" how can I go to Kingston street?"
" Sorry. What did you say?"
My friends found the movie a bit boring.
And you? What did you say?
I am so excited
ex- This is the place
Information sought versus repetition requested