Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
SPX103 - Barriers to Participation
Transcript of SPX103 - Barriers to Participation
55yrs+ : 16%
- an obstacle that prevents movement or access.
- a circumstance or obstacle that prevents communication or that keeps people or things apart.
- something that prevents progress or success.
There are different barriers that effect
different individuals and groups of individuals.
List three barriers you or the person(s) next to you have encountered during your involvement in sport.
- the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, esp. on the grounds of race, age, class or sex.
- each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics.
- a group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group.
- the fact or condition of belonging to such a division or group; the qualities or characteristics associated with this.
- the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones) : traditional concepts of gender | [as adj. ] gender roles.
- the members of one or other sex : differences between the genders are encouraged from an early age.
- the system of ordering a society in which people are divided into sets based on perceived social or economic status [as adj. ] the class system.
- a set in a society ordered in such a way : the ruling class.
( the classes) archaic the rich or educated.
To understand possible motivations to play sport
To recognise that not everyone participates
Importantly, discuss the potential barriers in place to prevent participation
White Adults: 26.2%
Non- White: 31.4%
Adults with a Limiting Disability: 15.6%
So why do we or you play sport?
Solo Vs Team
Informal Vs Formal
What is the key aspect for you?
Why do you think we have a disparity in sports participation?
Before your seminar tomorrow go away and think about your sporting experiences, focusing on the sport you currently play. Do you think there are any barriers present that might prevent some people joining the sport?