Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of An Introduction to the Study of Philippine Literature
Transcript of Copy of An Introduction to the Study of Philippine Literature
Why Do We Need to Study Philippine Literature
2 GENERAL TYPES OF LITERATURE
What is LITERATURE?
is derived from the Latin word
• Literature is about human beings in human affairs whose struggles and triumphs affect other human beings.
-Cirilo F. Bautista
Philippine literature is the literature associated with the Philippines and includes the legends of prehistory, and the colonial legacy of the Philippines.
MOST FAMOUS AUTHORS AND WORKS
• Dr. Jose P. Rizal
• Carlos P. Romulo
• Jose P. Garcia Villa
• Marcelo H. del Pilar
• Graciano Lopez Jaena
• Antonio Luna
• Andres Bonifacio
RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN LITERATURE AND HISTORY
LITERATURE - The body of written works of a language, period or culture.
HISTORY – The study of past events, particularly in human affairs.
IMPORTANCE OF LITERATURE
-mirror of culture
-mirror of life
-history of nation’s spirit
consists of those written within the common flow of conversation in sentences and paragraphs
is a form of literary art which uses aesthetic and rhythmic qualities of language such as phonaesthetics, sound symbolism, and meter.
this is a formal treatment of a subject and is intended to be spoken in public.
TYPES OF PROSE
Types of Poetry:
this refers to kind of poetry meant to be sung to the accompaniment of a lyre, but now, this applies to any type of poetry that expresses emotions and feelings of the poet.
- this form describes important events in life either real or imaginary.
Different Types of Lyric Poetry
The Different varieties are:
Ornaments of Poetry
Line or Verse
appreciate the literary heritage of Philippines
to know deeper about our own culture
understand that we have a great and noble traditions
this is a long narrative divided into chapters
this is a narrative involving one or more characters, one plot and one single impression
this is presented on a stage, is divided into acts and each act has many scenes
these are fictitious narratives, usually about origins
these are also fictitious and they deal with animals and inanimate things who speak and act like people
these are merely products of the writer's imagination
this expresses the viewpoint or opinion of the writer about a particular problem or event
this deals with life of a person which may be about himself, his autobiography or that of others
this is a report of everyday events in society, government, science and industry, and accidents, happening nationally or not
- this is an extended narrative about heroic exploits often under supernatural control.
Two Kinds of Epic Poetry:
Popular or Ancient
- is often without a definite author and is slow growth
Literary or Modern
- is with a definite author
this is a narrative which is written in verse and can be classified either as a ballad or a metrical romance.
it has a simple structure and tells of a single incident.
Variations of these:
Historical or Mythical Ballads
-these are short poems intended to be sung.
-a lyric poem of 14 lines dealing with an emotion, a feeling or an idea.
These are two types
-a lyric poem which expresses feelings of grief and melancholy and whose theme is death.
- this is a poem of noble feeling, expressed with dignity, with no definite number of lines in stanza.
- this is a song praising God or the Virgin Mary and containing a philosophy of life.
-these have measures of eight syllables and recited to martial beat.
-these have measures of 12 syllables and slowly sung to the accompaniment of a guitar
- this is an emotional piece of literature which includes a story which is recited or sung.
Included in this form are the following:
- this form usually is light and written with the purpose of amusing, and usually has a happy ending.
-it arouses immediate and intense emotion and is usually sad but there is a happy ending for the principal character.
-this involves the hero struggling mightily against dynamic forces
-this is an exaggerated comedy. the characters seem to be caricatures and the motives undignified and absurd.
-this form is either purely comic or tragic and it pictures the life of today.