Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Subject Predicate Agreement
Transcript of Subject Predicate Agreement
Group of smaller terms used to make a sentence
A sentence must include a subject and a predicate
The main part of the predicate is a verb
1. What is the subject of this sentence?
Across the water, through the doors of Hogwarts, on the steps, sits Harry potter.
2. What is the predicate?
Lucius Malfoy is the father of Slytherin member, Draco.
is the father of Slytherin member, Draco.
3. Either Hermione or Fred and
George Weasley has/have
ginger coloured hair.
4. Each of the members in Gryffindor house possesses/possess courage, chivalry, and determination qualities.
5. Professor McGonagall, along with Professor Snape, is/are a head of house at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Why is Subject Predicate Agreement important?
A disagreement between subjects and predicates leads to confusion, distraction, a lack of sentence flow, and incorrect identification of subjects.
What is a subject?
"What" or "whom" the sentence is about.
Can be a noun, a pronoun, or sometimes an entire clause
To identify a subject, isolate the verb first. Then, pose the question "who" or "what" before the verb. The answer of the question is your subject(s).
Harry Potter, the main character, is a wizard who studies at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
“Who is a wizard…?”
Answer= Subject: Harry Potter
What is a predicate?
The verb + any other information stating something about the subject
Essentially, everything other than the subject
Hermione and Ron
members of the Gryffindor house at Hogwarts.
Subject: Hermoine and Ron
Predicate: are members of the Gryffindor house at Hogwarts
Does the subject always come before the verb?
1. In a question
take Harry to the ball?
2. Sentences beginning with here/there
3. Sentences beginning with a prepositional phrase
Across the Great Lake,
The verb must agree in
(gender) with the subject.
A simple subject is when the sentence has only one subject
a funky nose.
In this example, Voldemort is the only subject meaning it is singular. It is also masculine. Voldemort can be replaced with "He" in the third person singular. The subject agrees with the verb, "has."
There is more than one subject in the sentence. Typically they are separated by commas, or by the conjunction "and."
Fred and George
the ginger, Weasley twins.
In this sentence, both Fred and George are the subjects as there is "And" between them. This calls for a verb agreement in the third person plural because Fred and George can be replace by "they are."
Bellatrix, Umbridge, and Narcissa
the old evil ladies society in Harry Potter.
Since we have three subjects, it is a plural subject. It is also in the third person plural; hence, it is “they represent” to agree with its subjects.
Grammar Rules and Common Errors!
1. When the following words: each, every, everyone, everybody, someone, anyone, anybody, no one, and nobody are the subjects or precede the subject in a sentence, treat them as singular subjects agreeing with singular verbs. If the gender can be either masculine or feminine, make sure to include both genders.
of the wizards at Hogwarts
The subject of the sentence is not wizards, instead it is "each." Each is a singular subject. Each can be replaced by the third person singular, he or she. Therefore, the verb is studies.
the Dark Lord will be subject to the Avada Kedavra death spell.
Anybody is the subject of the sentence. Since it is an indefinite pronoun, it is singular. It can be replaed with the third person singular, he or she, therefore, it agrees with "defies."
2. When using either/or and neither/nor, the verb must agree with the subject closest to it.
the Death Eaters
the favorite ginger.
best friends with Gryffindor members.
3. Collective nouns that are in plural form agree with singular verbs.
quickly through the Ministry of Magic.
News is a collective noun which acts as a singular noun, therefore, it must agree with a singular verb. The third person singular conjugation for the verb "to spread" is spreads.
4. Phrases such as: accompanied by, along with, as well as, in addition to, including, no less than, not to mention, together with DO NOT make a compound subject.
, along with Hagrid,
Dumbledore is the only subject of the sentence. Though it may appear it is a compound subject with Hagrid, it is not. Dumbledore is third person singular, so the verb agreement is mentor
5. Linking verbs, such as the verb "to be" agree with their subjects, not their complements (objects).
the Goblet of Fire maze.
Goblet of Fire mazes
Fleur Delacour's problem.
Note that the sentence inversion affects the subject-predicate agreement.
6. The verb in a relative clause (who, which, that) must agree with the relative pronoun's antecedent (the word the pronoun stands for). Always ask yourself what the relative pronoun refers to.
decided to destroy
pieces of Voldemort's soul.
We can change this example to being, "Harry decided to destroy horcruxes. Horcruxes are pieces of Voldemort's soul."
By doing so, we can see that the pronoun which is referring to the word horcruxes. Horcruxes is a plural word, and thus can be replaced by the third person plural tense: "they are."
, a member of the Gryffindor house,
The relative pronoun, "who" replaces Hermione. Hermione is a singular subject; therefore, it agrees with the verb in the third person singular, "is."
7. The subject of a sentence will not be part of the prepositional phrase (usually beginning with of).
to Cho Chang.
Since this has a prepositional phrase, the subject is bouquet. Bouquet is singular, so the verb "was sent" agrees with the subject
If a pronoun is used as part of your predicate, your must ensure that it too agrees with its antecedent in number and gender. Indefinite pronoun antecedents that replace a person mush have both the feminine singular verb and masculine singular.
of the members in Slytherin
Harry Potter and Hermione Granger
chaser in the game of Quidditch
his or her
1. What is the subject?
Mad-eye moody counsels Harry for the Triwizard tournament.
2. What is the predicate?
Luna and Dobby are the best characters in Harry Potter.
3. Either Snape or the death eaters is/are the most evil.
4. Every week, each of the Gryffindor students visits/visit his/her/ his or her/their families.
5. Hagrid, along with his pet dragon, visit/visits the Forbidden Forest.