Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Introduction to Scientific Notation
Transcript of Introduction to Scientific Notation
Scientific notation is like shorthand for writing numbers. Scientists use it when they want to write numbers that are either...
Diameter of the sun: 1,391,000,000 meters
About Scientific Notation
When you have numbers with a whole lot of zeros, you can save time (and space!) by using scientific notation. When you use scientific notation you can simplify all those zeros by writing the number as the product of a number and a power of 10.
Writing Numbers in Scientific Notation
What is Scientific Notation?
The diameter of the sun is 1,391,000,000 meters.
That's 1.391 x 10^9 in scientific notation!
1) N is called the coefficient. It is always a number between 1 and 10 (but not equal to 10).
2) a is always an integer. Positive exponents are for "larger" numbers, negative exponents are for "smaller" numbers!
How to Write Numbers in Scientific Notation
Write in scientific notation.
YOU TRY IT!