Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Embedded Operating System
Transcript of Embedded Operating System
The Decline of the Manufacturing Industry
Thanks in part to innovations in embedded technology, the manufacturing industry has seen a major decrease in jobs.
Uses WindRiver's VxWorks
3.8 million lines of code (C)
one CPU running, and another for spare
Using both CPU at the same time makes the system even more complex.
Ease for testing
Testing itself is difficult due to limited environment
Facts & Requirements
Can perform media analysis, long distance communication, central robotic controls, and path guidance.
Shall align on orbit (if orbitting)
Shall withstand extreme temperatures and pressure conditions
Need to fix itself (AI)
High-level languages are inefficient
If it fails, all effort is wasted. Hard to fix through long-distance communication, but possible through direct tweaks
Why would you?
Test, test, test. Should be treated like a medical software.
VxWorks is a real-time operating system (RTOS) that can be used in embedded system.
VxWorks can be run on most processors designed for distributed computing.
The BMW iDrive system
Several spacecraft have used VxWorks as the onboard OS
Robots and programmable controllers
The Honda Robot ASIMO
The Multi-Tasks Mangement
1:Preemptive, Priority-based task scheduler
2:Round-robin mode, or time slicing when two tasks
– QorIQ P408
– Altera MP32
Embedded Operating System
Features of Embedded OS:
1. Designed to be compact and efficient on limited resources (RAM and ROM)
3. Designed to do a specific task
4. System is only able to run a single application : does not load and execute applications
5. Written in assembly language
2. Require as little as 10KB of memory while Computer OS require hundreds of kilobytes - hundreds of megabytes
- Automation in manufacturing sectors such as pipe manufacturing and die casting
VxWorks V.s Other Operating systems
- High-performance ARM processors at a low cost with an efficient power envelope
-> large line of microprocessor variants
-> new devices from FPGA vendors
- Reconfigurable I/O Technology
-> Combination of multiple new technologies within one system and open access to these components to run custom software
Application of Embedded OS
The decline of the manufacturing industry
The National Bureau of Economic Research
Skills, Tasks and Technologies: Implications for Employment and Earnings
Daron Acemoglu, David Autor (2010)
Technology only affects low-skill jobs.
Education and training for high-skilled jobs is the way to grow our economy
In the 1970s, 1 in 5 jobs were in manufacturing.
Today, less than 10% of Canadian jobs are in this sector.
The "Canonical Model"
(Acemoglu, Autor 2010)
Period From 1979-1989
Period From 1989-1999
Period From 1999-2007
Employment by class of worker (StatCan 2013)
Embedded Systems in Outer Space
The highest priority task at any given time will be the ones running.
Uses less processing power
Faster speeds because content is saved on a minimal basis.
VxWorks memory management system does not use swapping or paging.