Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Windshield wiper mechanism
Transcript of Windshield wiper mechanism
Identification of needs
This project seeks to implement what has been gained from the educational and practical skills in the Kinematics and Dynamics of Machinery course (position, velocity and acceleration analysis for both analytical and graphical methods) during this semester.
The implementation applied to accomplish a project in design, analyze and build a windshield wiper mechanism to cover the maximum area possible on a windshield of dimension 1.5 m X 0.75 m. These dimensions can be scaled to a suitable scale to use less material for the mechanism's prototype.
The system consist of a computer which contain a LabView application to control the ball height, an amplifier to amplify the power of the signal (increase only the current) coming from the computer to a DC fan to provide the ball with a levitation force for ball inside the tube, an IR sensor to measure the ball height and a Data acquisition which receive the sensor values and converts them to a digital numerical values to analyze it. A schematic diagram of the experiment setup is shown in figure (1) and system block diagram in figure (2).
Center Cracked Tension Specimen – Plane Strain
Modeling the problem (Geometric and FE modeling)
Material modeling, BC specifications and load application
ANSYS model for the actual C-Shape model
ANSYS model for MODEL –A C-Shape model
Calculating the stresses of the actual model
Comparison with other C-Shape structure (MODEL- A)
Deformed and Un-deformed shape
Stress and displacement contours
Stress Concentration Factor SCF
Model and Results check
Windshield wiper is kinematic linkage, mechanism, and one of the safety factors in most of the vehicles. The linkage design of the mechanism is different depending on the type of the windshield, shape of the windshield, or area of the windshield needed to be cover.
In the design of the mechanism for example the needs that have to be met are:
• A background of how the linkage mechanisms work.
• Implement the design in the region of the limited area.
• GRASHOF condition to be applied.
• Specialized programs in linkage design.
• Realize how the mechanism works in different types of automobile/ vehicles.
The needs that have to be met are
• Graphs that represent the vectors in position, velocity and acceleration analysis.
• Graph of the wiper’s position, velocity, and acceleration versus the motor.
• Identify the maximum speed for the movement of wipers.
the needs that have to be met are:
• Clear and accurate dimension of the mechanism satisfy the limited area given.
• Good types of materials selection that can carry the torque come from the motor, the drag force come from the wind, did not have high friction that will cause difficult motion on the surface which will required high torque from the motor and it can withstand the water droplets (rain) when the car is going fast.
design obtained from the resource
This model is relatively better in which it can close completely to zero degree. It more efficient to cover maximum area of the windshield.
Entered to another program which is linkages student edition that comes with the text book.
• Several trials of changing the length of links have been done in order to get the Grashof condition as well as maximum coverage of the area.
Modification of the last building model design was performed using the wood and a white board.
The links made of wood and the joints used to be the screw with nut.
The final prototype design come to be a Four bar Pin- Jointed Linkage.
The input angle(angular position) assumed to be 45 degree.
As well as the input angular velocity of the motor assumed to be 10 rad/s.
Moreover, an experimental calculation performed by operating the real car wipers to a maximum speed as the case in heavy rain.
Satisfy Grashof conditions.
Calculation of the Area.
Norton, Robert L., Design of Machinery: an Introduction to the Synthesis and Analysis of Mechanisms and Machines, 5rd.
Ed., McGraw-Hill, 2009.
Designing and analyzing windshield wiper gave a great chance to apply what was theoretically taught in the course, thus the practical part was complementary of it.
It gave full better understanding for the topic although there were some challenging requirements .
The results were successful after passing some errors and modifications. Using the related equations was the last step in the analysis process. In the future, the design steps can be used to design any type of the linkages. And if there was a chance, some accurate measurements might be used.
College of Engineering & Computer Science
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Course name and number:
Fracture & Fatigue Control in Design
Professor. Mohamed Gadala
Center Cracked Tension Specimen – Plane Strain
Done by (Student Name & ID):
Nemah Ali 1007529
Maryam Ali 1028828
Part 1. Problem statement
A C-shape structure with a given dimensions, load and material properties (shown in Table 1 and in Figure 1) made of steel material. It is required to perform the following tasks using the ANSYS program. In Pre processing, it is required to obtain geometric modeling, finite element modeling, material modeling, boundary conditions specification and load application. In solution part, it is required to solve the problem assuming linear elastic analysis and verify that stresses do not exceed the yield point. In post processing, it is asked to plot deformed and un-deformed shapes, plot stress and displacement contours, and find SCF at the rounded corner and compare to available results in the literature. Finally, it is asked to perform and report appropriate checks for the verification of the model and the obtained results.