Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Google Driverless Car
Transcript of Google Driverless Car
Tsang Cho Wai
Tse Ming Hin
Wong Kai Hei
Yiu Cheuk Ying Driverless Car • The Google Driverless car is one of the known projects of Google X Lab led by Sebastian Thrun. Overview History Specification • October 2010 - The project was first announced. Evolution Marketing • Car and driver is the classic man-and-machine symbiosis that makes a lot of people doubt the future of self-driving cars. Forecasts How does it actually work? source: aaronkims.com
• As the name suggests, the car is fully autonomous and does not require any user interaction at all.
• There are a few sensors and other equipments attached to the car to help it 'see' and monitor its surrounding areas, the most important of which are the distance sensors, video camera, lidar and position estimator. • The Google driverless car is classified as a personal Robot because its main purpose is to serve our personal need. www.ted.com/talks/sebastian_thrun_google_s_driverless_car.html • June 2011 - Assembly Bill No. 511 passed. • May 2012 - First license issued. • August 2011 - First accident. Problems • The vehicle cannot react to specific situations the same way humans can. • Especially if something unexpected happens e.g. a broken traffic light. • Also if anything deviates from the norm or the car's system shuts down, relaxing passengers are not likely to spring into action with the same reaction times as people who feel responsible for their well-being. • Short-term goals - accident free cars, power and accuracy increase. • Long-term goal - turn today’s science fiction into tomorrow’s reality Impact on Society • Cost of production: $150,000 in equipment including a $70,000 laser radar system. • However, no immediate plan to commercially develop this system. • Therefore at the moment, it is not available to the mass public. Targeting • The main target market are those people who take interest in innovative products. • People who pursue effectiveness in driving should also be targeted. • Last but not least, users who pursue convenience should also be included in the target group. • 2005-2011
Different companies started implementing self-driving cars (BMW, General Motors, Audi, Volvo etc.) Similar Products/Ideas • Apart from the technical problems, there are lots of constraints in the society. • Will people eventually be able to accept driver-less cars? • Who is responsible if an accident occurs? • The car have logged over 140,000 miles.
• Goals: * prevent traffic accidents.
* save people’s time.
* reduce carbon emissions by fundamentally changing the usage of car. • Volvo and GM even planned the completion year to be 2020. • Mercedes-Benz's 2013 S-Class will feature an autonomous driving system. • Now - Two types of cars are used: Toyota Prius and Audi TT. Thank You
Q&A • Together,they also established the Google X Lab. • Google Inc. was founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin in 1998.