Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Hardiness Training
- Control over their lives
- Challenge Maddi introduced a training programe to
increase a persons hardiness. She argued the hardier the person, the better they would
cope with stress. These three steps were:
- Relieving stressful encounters
- Self-improvement There is one main study that was carried out
by Maddi in 1998 and this assesses the
effectiveness of hardiness training.
- Conclusions learn to recognize physical symptoms of stress, such as increased heart rate or sweating. This helps them recognize sources of stress. learn to analyse recent past stressful situations such as thinking about how it could have turned out better or worse. This helps them to make a realistic appraisal of the stressors that they experience. Take on challenges that can be coped with and build confidence, this helps them learn that they are capable of coping with stressful situations. 54 managers in a utilities company were randomly allocated to three conditions: a) hardiness training b) training in relaxation and meditation c) social support.
Each condition worked in groups of 6 with experienced trainers. There were ten training sessions which took place once a week, with each session lasting one and a half hours each.
Both before and after training, all teachers completed questionnaires which provided measures of hardiness, job satisfaction, the extent to which they experienced stress, perceived social support and illness. Hardiness training proved to have the most improvement than both of the other conditions. Hardiness can be learned, and hardiness training is a more effective method of addressing stress than relaxation or social support. Additional studies of hardiness training Judkins et al (2006) found that nurse managers who took part in hardiness training increased their levels of hardiness.
This had a positive impact on the company
due to staff turnover levels being increased. A different study by Green et al (2007) gave high school students coaching sessions which included hardiness training .
After this, a significant increase in the student's hardiness levels was shown. Other positive effects such as a decrease in depressive symptoms were also reported. Despite having proven
effectiveness, there are weaknesses
in the method :
- This method will only work if the participants are determined to stick to the technique and routine
- Procedures are very lengthy and require huge amounts of commitment, time, effort and most importantly money.
- The concept may be too complex, in some cases the person may just be negative
and not have a lack of hardiness. For
these people it is argued that
relaxation and positive
thinking can be just
as successful The Hardy Goat. And The Hardy cow...