Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Are Some People More Ready for Relationships than Others ?
Transcript of Are Some People More Ready for Relationships than Others ?
Intimacy and Attachment
relationships build their foundation off of shared intimacy and closeness
patterns are linked to early childhood experiences with primary caregivers
Brennan, Kelly A., Phillip R. Shaver, and Ann E. Tobey. "Attachment Styles, Gender and Parental Problem Drinking." Journal of Social and Personal Relationships 8.4 (1991): 451-66. Web.
Attachment Styles, Gender and Parental Problem Drinking
Study where participants who displayed avoidant attachment styles were compared to parental problem drinking and how it affects their romantic relationships later in life
Obsessive and controlling relationship tendencies
Jealous and full of drama
Difficulty in close and intimate relationships with others
Happy and satisfying relationships
Attachment Styles and Personal Growth following Romantic Breakups: The Mediating Roles of Distress, Rumination, and Tendency to Rebound
- positive life changes people make directly following negative life events
- rate on how participants were emotionally affected immediately following the break up
Study where participants took a number of surveys that:
1) measured their attachment style tendencies
2) measure their break-up distress in correlation to their personal growth
following the break up
Bartholomew's scheme suggests two types of avoidant attachment
fearful and dismissive
Marshall, Tara C., Kathrine Bejanyan, and Nelli Ferenczi. "Attachment Styles and Personal Growth following Romantic Breakups: The Mediating Roles of Distress, Rumination, and Tendency to Rebound." PLoS ONE 8.9 (2013): n. pag. Web.
Lewandowski, Gary W. "Q8: Are Some People More Ready for Relationships than Others?" The Science of Relationships: Answers to Your Questions about Dating, Marriage, and Family. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt, 2011. N. pag. Print.