Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
COVENANT ORIENTATION - TALK # 4
Transcript of COVENANT ORIENTATION - TALK # 4
Talk No. 4 : OUR CHRISTIAN CULTURE IN CFC
The New Testament Teaching.
What did God do for us?
Colossians 1: 13
What is our response?
Instructions for Christian Living
17 So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. 18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.
Our New Identity as Christians
From darkness to light
Once no people, now God's people
We are strangers and in exile
1. CFC is one body throughout the world, with one vision, one mission, and also one culture.
2. God wants to create a new humanity, one that would live His life on earth. We are to be witnesses to His work in our lives.
3. Our response will determine the effectiveness of our witness. Our positive response will keep us united and will enable the Lord to use us for mission.
What is a Culture?
1. Culture = the way of life of a people.
Our Christian Culture in CFC
CFC is a Christian community with distinctive beliefs, values and patters of life.
The basic Christian beliefs and values are those held in common by all orthodox Christians.
Beliefs: Jesus is Lord, life after death, etc.
Values: What we consider desirable, e.g., loyalty, dependability, dignity of life, etc.
In addition, we stress the importance of marriage and family life.
Our "statement of mission" provides our direction and the rationale for our existence.
The family is a creation of God and God wants us to rise in defense of His work.
We are to bring families back to the plan of God.
new birth in Christ,
a new way of life which is in harmony with God's nature and purposes.
22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
Eph 4:17 -18
It is the sum total of attained and learned behavior patterns of a people, regarded as expressing a traditional way of life. It is the sum total of what makes a people what they are.
Culture includes a people's beliefs, values, social structures, customs and expressions.
2. Christianity is a culture
As a natural consequence of Christian beliefs and values, Christians ought to have a distinctively Christian way of life that reflects and supports such values and beliefs.
We ought to be distinguishable from other worldly cultures. In fact, Christianity is a counter culture.
We can be Christian and Filipino (or Indian, Australian, etc.). But we are Christians first and foremost.
Marriage is indissoluble and is created by God for love and procreation.
Both husband and wife have equal personal worth and dignity. God's order for the family is expressed in roles, with man as head and woman as helpmate.
Parents are responsible for the education of children.
The family shares in the life and mission of the Church.
* Service to others
Christian family renewal is best achieved through the power of the Holy Spirit and the full use of all charismatic gifts.
Our "statement of philosophy" contains the beliefs and ideals of CFC, which govern our thrust and mission.
E. Expressions of Christian culture in CFC.
The way we relate to one another.
Honor & respect
Loyalty & commitments
Our goal in the way we relate is to build one another up in love, and to build up the body, CFC. Eph 4:15 16.
We are to be men and women of faith.
a) What is faith? Heb 11:1.
11 Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
b) We can depend on divine providence. Lk 12:22 31.
We should not worry about tomorrow God will provide everything we need just trust and have faith.
c) Jesus is our focus. Heb 12:2a. (because Jesus is in the center of our lives that is why there is always Joy in our heart
3. Prayer and Scripture.
a) We are to have a daily conversation with God.
* Eph 6:18.
18 Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.
An Encouragement for Prayer
2 Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart.
b) We are to receive wisdom, guidance and life from God's Word.
* Col 3:16a.
16 Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts
12 For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.
a) The Christian family is at the very center of God's plan.
* As the basic unit of society, the condition of families will determine the condition of societies.
b) We need to strengthen the family.
* God's order: headship and submission. Eph 5:22 25.
* We are to fulfill our responsibilities in the Lord.
Husband: govern, provide, protect.
Wife: partner, support, homemaker.
Parents: raise children in the Lord. Eph 6:4.
* Always have Jesus at the center of family life.
4. Order in the family.
For wives, this means submit to your husbands as to the Lord.
For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of the church. He is the Savior of his body, the church.
As the church submits to Christ, so you wives should submit to your husbands in everything.
For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her
4 Fathers,[a] do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.
a) We are one body, with a common life.
* Not individualistic, but brethren.
* Not pursue holiness just individually, but also corporately.
b) One concrete expression is the household.
* A concrete manifestation of being "family".
* Our weekly "spiritual filling station".
* A place to truly love our brethren.
5. Life as a body.
c) Respect for order and authority in the body.
* We need order and authority for the body to function effectively.
* The Lord places various people in positions of authority. We
are to obey and respect them. Heb 13:17.
d) Christian finance.
* We have a common responsibility to support God's work.
* We are to make available to the Lord not just our time and our
talents, but also our treasure.
* CFC's work is supported by the freewill contributions of its
members. While giving money to CFC is not a requirement for
membership, we are encouraged to be generous.