Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Sexting
There was a 16 year old girl and two 14 year old girls who the photos were of. There were also three 17 year old boys and another 16 year old girl who were arrested.
The Police also got involved in the situation including Detective Senior Constable Steve Oakley.
Other people who could get involved is your school, parents, teachers or the court and law enforcement.
Number of schools involved and more arrests expected to be made
16 year old victim sent picture to "trusted" friend hoping it would be deleted
Two 14 year old girls had photos of them going around as well
Three 17 year old boys and a 16 year old girl were arrested
Teenagers could face child pornography charges
All parents were shocked and disgusted
Key points of the situation
Consequences for people involved
The three 17 year old boys and 16 year old girl who were arrested were interviewed about the offense of knowingly communicating a private activity. All four have been released pending more inquiries however they could all face child pornography charges. There could also be more schools and students involved leading to possibly more arrests.
"Four Teens Arrested over Sexting Scandal at School in Melbourne West." Herald Sun. Jon Kaila, 3 July 2013. Web. 5 Aug. 2014.<http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/four-teens-arrested-over-sexting-scandal-at-school-in-melbourne8217s-west/story-fni0fee2-1226673599544
"DMCA Protection & Takedown Services." DMCA Protection & Takedown Services. DMCA, n.d. Web. 09 Sept. 2014. <http://www.dmca.com/FAQ/How-to-stop-from-being-a-victim-of-Sexting>.
"How to Get Someone to Stop Sexting You." WikiHow. WikiHow, n.d. Web. 09 Sept. 2014. <http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Someone-to-Stop-Sexting-You>.
C A N Y O N S, S C H O O L, D I S T R I C T, and C. I V I L. THE FACTS ABOUT “SEXTING” (n.d.): n. pag. The Facts about Sexting. Canyons School District Civil Rights and Accommdations Office. Web. 10 Sept. 2014. <http://www.canyonsdistrict.org/images/stories/sexting.flyer.new.pdf>.
"11 Facts about Sexting." DoSomething.org. DOsomething.org, n.d. Web. 10 Sept. 2014. <https://www.dosomething.org/facts/11-facts-about-sexting>.
I also used information that I learnt from previous lessons.
1. Don't send the pictures or videos at all even if you completely trust the person as many bad things could happen and somehow the sext could be viral
2. Parents need to speak to their child about the dangers of technology and online activity. Teenagers won't understand that whether or not it is on a phone or online that once it is sent or posted, it is out of the senders hands. And anyone can do whatever they want with it and that it's extremely hard to have the photo removed offline permanently.
Top 5 suggestions to avoid being affected by the issue
3. If someone has sexts of you then ask them to delete it but let them know that you are serious about your privacy and get help if needed from parents, school, police or anyone with authority.
4. Lots of clubs and public events will usually have a photographer who walks around and take videos and photos. If you don't want to be in a photo then make it clear to the photographer that you don't want to be in the photo or video.
5. If someone is sexting you then tell them to stop and that it makes you uncomfortable. If it doesn't stop keep telling them.
Sexting is when you send or receive sexually explicit (nude, semi nude or suggestive photos or videos of someone. People who send sexts send them of themselves or other people.
Sometimes the receiver of them didn't ask for them and doesn't know why they received them but others ask for sexts from certain people.
What is sexting?
It is illegal for someone under 18 to sext. If you are 18 and over it is legal unless you send or receive for them from someone under 18 years of age the it is illegal.
Is it illegal?
Popular reasons for sexting is:
52% assumption that others
would want to see them, 35% a desire to show off and 26% because of boredom.
Percent of teenagers who have felt pressured to send sexts/sexy messages:
Other consequences could included that anyone who sexts to someone under aged or if they are under aged then they can face serious consequences. Some people can be put on the sex offenders list for a certain amount of time while others would not be allowed to interact with kids. Depending on how serious the situation is depends on how serious the consequences are. If someone over 18 sexts to someone under 18 the consequences are more serious.
Percent of teenagers who have sent or posted nude or semi-nude
pictures or videos of themselves:
15% of teens who have sent or posted nude/semi-nude images of themselves send these messages to people they have never met, but know from the Internet.
Scandal of the century