Transcript of Desert Plateau Survival
Desert Plateau Climate The desert plateau is very hot and sunny, and has a very low amount of rainfall. There is a wide range of temperature for this environment. During the day it is very warm, but after sun down it becomes a cold area. Animals have adapted to these harsh conditions. It can be as hot as 55 degrees Celsius and as cold as 0 degrees Celsius in a single day. Climate Terrain The terrain of the desert plateau is flat with very few plants. It is hard for animals to hide from the blistering heat and find shelter for safety. Sand dunes are in this environment also. The term "flat" is not always true, as sand dunes can be as tall as 300 metres and 2 kilometres long. Even though this terrain has sand dunes that large, it can still have stretches of land that are bare for nearly 3,000 metres! Examples of this environment include edges of the Sahara, some of the Arabian desert and parts of New Mexico. Wildlife Wildlife Some main animals of this environment include poisonous snakes and scorpions, camels and no bugs. It may seem like there isn't much for wildlife, but that is not true. One of our favourites is the Gila Monster. The Gila (Gee-A) Monster is one of the only poisonous lizards in the world. The only other one is the Mexican-Beaded lizard. Majority of animals in this environment are nocturnal to "beat the heat". One example of that is the Kangaroo Rat. The kangaroo rat is a mesmerizing creature and can recapture it's own body moisture! They have such complex kidneys that they are able to contain as much water as possible. All in all, the creatures of this environment are truly great and they have some of the most amazing adaptations in the world. Top 10 Things For Survival 1. Bottled Water and Dry Food. We chose bottled water because there is no water in the desert. Dry food would be the best food available to us because it won't spoil.Full transcript
2. Compass and Map. The compass and map are ideal for survival so we can find our way back to safety.
3. Tent and Blankets. The tent is a perfect shelter that is easy to transport and set up. The blankets will give us the best amount of warmth at night.
4. Sunglasses. Sunglasses are an important thing to have because of the blistering heat and deadly sun rays.
5. Thermal Clothes. Thermal clothes are semi-important for this environment because it is good to change into for night for warmth.
6. Flashlight. A flashlight is good to have so you can see in crevasses and at night you can see what you are doing.
7. Hunting Knife. Hunting knife would be important for protection from snakes, lizards and scorpions. By Kyle Cushman, Breanna Graham-Fralic and Dillon Van Dyk