Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Sandbox by Edward Albee
Transcript of The Sandbox by Edward Albee
The Sandbox by Edward Albee
Edward Franklin Albee III was born on March 12, 1928. An American and works as a dramatist.
1. It is stated that granny who was born in the farm was brought to the city by her daughter.
2. The Angel of Death represents youngsters nowadays since he is vain and isn’t bright.
3. The killing of granny by the Angel of Death shows how the values that was once owned by granny has started disappearing.
IN THE MORNING
CHARACTER AND CHARACTERISTIC
her voice a cross between a baby's laugh and cry
warm as toast
BETWEEN MOMMY AND DADDY
BETWEEN MOMMY AND GRANDMA
BETWEEN HUMAN AND NATURE
The story starts with Mommy and Daddy enters the stage. The setting is the beach. Mommy ask the Musician to come along with them. Then they bring in Grandma. Grandma acts like a child. There was a Young Man doing calisthenic while smiling and waving at them.
Mommy and Daddy was ignoring Grandma. So Grandma threw sand to Mommy. Grandma told her story about her past and hardship we taking care of her daughter, Mommy.
Thunder was heard by Mommy and Daddy. It was a sign of death to take Grandma away. Mommy fakes her sadness and mourning. Grandma mocked Mommy by playing dead.
Mommy wipe away her tears and left Grandma sandbox. Mommy assume that she has taken good care of Grandma but Grandma thought otherwise.
Young Man came nearer to Grandma and revealed himself as Angel of Death. Grandma accept the fact the she has to go and allow him to take her away.
Society starts losing its values.
The inability to communicate with people.
1. This can be seen by the way Granny tried to communicate with both Mommy and Daddy but Mommy & Daddy failed to understand her.
The emptiness of contemporary family.
1. This can be seen through the interaction between Mommy, Daddy & Granny. There was no feeling of love shown by the way they converse with one and another.
Fifty-five, a well-dressed imposing woman.
DOMINEERING & CRUEL
Shows no respect towards anyone, including her mother and husband
Reveals no emotional attachment to her own mother.
When Daddy asked about Grandma’s condition, Mommy shuts him up
THE DECISION MAKER OF THE FAMILY
Decided to put Grandma in the “sandbox”, to
remove some stress out of her life
Daddy never disagrees with her, does whatever she desires
Made the decision to start the music in good times and stop it in bad times. It was as if she wanted the whole world to stop in her own troubled situations.
60, a man of small stature with gray hair
He’s the rich man that Mommy married
PASSIVE & EMASCULATED
He does what she says, followed by "Whatever you say, Mommy."
86, a tiny, wizened woman with bright eyes
the protagonist of the play.
At 17, she married a farmer.
Raised Mommy since her husband died when she was 30.
Faced conflict with her family, society, and death.
SHARP-TONGUE AND SHREWD
a good looking, well-built boy in bathing suit
As the Angel of Death
Performed calisthenics that suggest the beating of wings.
He is from Southern California, but hasn't been given a name yet.
no particular age, but young would be nice
He does not speak and must be directed to play or stop playing his music.
POINT OF VIEW
First person point of view:
Reason: read directly from text, each character use words that are from their viewpoint
(exe.: “we” , “I”).
Third person point of view:
Reason: same case, but from the narrative perspective. Usage of words such as “He”, She”, or, “They”.
-Alternating person view
~Usually found in literature
works (alternate between
first and third person of view