Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Ironed Out: Forensics 300 Group Project
Transcript of Ironed Out: Forensics 300 Group Project
36 years old
Construction worker for 16 years
History of alcoholism
A Questioned Death body
found orange juice pestle &
tablets Iron Poisoning Absorption Conclusions
and Outcomes bowl of soup vomit Expert Witness Testimonies Mother (Amanda Meyers) of a 36 year old man calls 911 after finding her son on the bathroom floor dead on a Saturday night, Oct 23 2010. Paramedics reported that he was dead before they arrived and was believed to have died due to alcohol poisoning. However, family of the deceased believes he was murdered and demands an autopsy and an investigation. Wife is no where to be found. bowl of soup pork fried rice and stirred fried vegetables Victim found on Saturday evening in victims home by parents Amanda and Fred Meyers. Parents came to check on him after he missed a family get together earlier that day and failed to answer any phone calls since Friday morning. The victim was last seen alive on Wednesday afternoon. He called in sick from work on Thursday morning and did not show up to work on Friday. white powder steak and
vegetables in trash white powder iron
supplements alcohol bottles Iron absorption is an active, saturable process;
as the dose increases, the percentage absorbed decreases Credit card bills
includes iron supplement purchase Wife's e-mail conversation with "secret" boyfriend. vomit in the hallway Lethal dose: 60mg/kg Typically, 10% of ingested iron is absorbed. In massive overdose, a relatively small proportion (as little as 15%) is absorbed Pathology Toxicology GC Mass Spec Presentation By:
Shawn Prendergast Symptoms Vomiting
Often Misdiagnosed as: Gastroenteritis
Food Poisoning Stages of Iron Poisoning I. Within 6 hours after overdose
- Vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain,irritability, drowsiness, unconsciousness, low blood pressure, and seizures. II. 6 to 48 hours after the overdose
- very low blood pressure (shock), fever, bleeding, jaundice, liver failure, and seizures can develop IV. 2 to 5 days after the overdose
- The liver fails, and people may die from shock, bleeding, and blood-clotting abnormalities. Confusion and sluggishness or coma may develop. III. 12 to 48 hours after the overdose
- Low blood pressure, fever, bleeding, jaundice, liver failure, and seizures. V. 2 to 5 weeks after the overdose
-The stomach or intestines can become blocked by constricting scars. Scarring in either organ can cause crampy abdominal pain and vomiting. Severe scarring of the liver can develop later Sources:
Microsoft Clip Art
Google Sketch Art
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/815213-overview Larry's wife finally confessed to the of murder her husband as there was too much evidence was against her Suspected time of death is Friday afternoon. From the high amounts of iron content found in the Larry Meyer's system, it was concluded that the cause of death was due to iron poisoning. Traces of large amounts of iron were found in the food obtained from the crime scene; soup, vegetables, fried rice, orange juice, and in the pool of vomit and on the pestle and mortar. Credit card bills belonging to Larry Meyer's wife shows the transactions purchases of the iron supplements. However, it was not a strong support of evidence. Larry Meyer's wife's boyfriend calls in to the police on Saturday to tell them about her whereabouts as he did not want to be involved in a homocide that she had confessed to him of her plans. Larry's wife disappeared on the Thursday night that Larry called in to his office to inform them of his leave from work that morning