Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Fakebook & Hatespring
Transcript of Fakebook & Hatespring
In this workshop you will:
- Become aware of the potential threats of Facebook and Formspring
- Explore the common problems, scenarios, and the impact that social networking has
- Lean about the stereotypes, hate, bullying, and reality that surround young adults on these sites
- Accquire techniques that will reduce the negative effects that social networking have on teens today
- Learn how to limit the stresses you encounter with social networking and concentrate on yourself BROKEN TELEPHONE This demonstrates how:
- A piece of gossip can be passed around via internet
- A different story can be produced through social networking
- A piece of gossip can be taken out of context and gossip is often exaggerated and untrue STATS TRIANGLE
50% of Canadian kids say
that they are online most of
16% of kids say they
talk to their parents
about what they do
external/documents/ACF6F8.pdf CIRCLE 25% of young Canadian
Internet users say that
someone has sent them
messages that have said
hateful things about others.
YOung Canadians in a Wired World
- Mnet Survey, 2001 STAR
Over half of adolescents and teens
have been bullied online, and about the same number have engaged in cyber bullying.
More than 1 in 3 young people
have experienced cyberthreats
Over 25% of adolescents and teens have been bullied repeatedly through their cell phone or the Internet.
cyber-bullying-statistics.html Common Features on
Facebook & Formspring Facebook & FOrmspring:
- Are social networking sites
- Were created to give people
a chance to communicate with
long lost friends or family in other
places of the world People have misused these sties!
- Hate groups
- Racist groups
- Discrimination What is a HATE GROUP?
- Advocates/practices HATRED,
HOSTILITY, or VIOLENCE towards
members of society What is CYBER BULLYING?
- When a child, preteen, or teen
is targeted by another child, preteen
or teen using the Internet, interactive
and digital technologies or mobile
- Must have a minor on both sides, or
at least be instigated by a minor against
- When adult becomes involved, known
http://www.stopcyberbullying.org/index2.html How does it work?
1. DIRECT ATTACK
- Message sent directly to teen
2. PROXY ATTACK
- Uses other to help cyberbully the
victim (with or without the accomplice's
- More dangerous because it can get adults
- Long-term psychological harm
(low self-esteem, depression, anger,
poor academic performance, truancy,
- Mental trauma
- Death SHARING IMAGES AND CYBERBULLYING What was the main message of this video? What would make someone post
an inappropriate picture or a picture
that they would regret posting later on? How could this affect the person who posted the image and the person who shared it? CYBERBULLYING What is the main message of this video? Why do people feel it is okay to say hateful things online but not in person? How can we respond to hate messages in a positive way? Why is it easier for people to hate online? Why does seeing hate on Facebook and Formspring seem like less of a problem than seeing it in reality? VALUES OF LIMITING
SOCIAL NETWORKING How many of you have been
stressed out about something
that has been said about you on
facebook or formspring? How does it feel? LESS STRESS! - By reducing the amount of social networking
you take part in, you will reduce your stress levels
- Stress is a form of suffering
- Suffering can also mean disatisfaction
- Facebook and Formspring are breeding grounds for suffering
- In order to overcome suffering, you must learn to accept what is How many of you have endured some sort
of hate over Facebook or Formspring? - Facebook and FOrmspring are some of the
most common social networking sites for
cyberbullying to occur
- By limiting what you do and say on social
networking sites, you will endure less cyber
- This leads to less hate in your life
- Results in less suffering and more concentration
on what is important in your life (self, family, friends,
school, work) LESS HATE! How many of you log onto Facebook
or Formspring as soon as you get home
from school? What time do you start your homework after being
on these sites? How many times a day do you check your profile? Facebook and FOrmspring are highly addictive! How many of you feel like you waste
hours and hours on these sites? MORE PRODUCTIVE TIME MANAGEMENT! - High school is a crucial time
- Students must learn to budget their
- Facebook and Formspring tend to be
procrastination A DAY AFTER IN THE LIFE OF VICTORIA
2:45 - get home, check Facebook
3:00 - walk dog
3:20 - get back inside from walking dog,
4:00 - start homework while on
5:00 - still busy with homework, still on
6:00 - eat dinner
6:30 - continue homework
7:30 - watch TV
8:30 - shower
9:30 - go on Facebook
11:00 - go to sleep
PUT YOURSELF FIRST! What does being present mean? YOU should be YOUR first priority!
NOT a screen! - Displaying yourself through the internet
is more destructive
- FALSE ADVERTISING! When we talk to people face to face,
we see their true reactions and emotions. How many of you have a cell phone? How many of you text? How many of you actually CALL your friends
and have long conversations with them? We need to realize that our friends and family won't be around forever.
Face to face conversations are going to be our most cherished memories. HAVING ARGUMENTS WITH YOURSELF - Things we should have said
- Things we should have done
The past is the past, we must accept it
and move forward. Who has thought to themself "I should/shouldn't have done that." ? Who has had pretend conversations
in your head? We have complete control over our lives.
Making mistakes is a part of life! It is understandable that social networking will be widely used for our
generation and for many more generations to come. We are NOT trying to
tell you to ELIMINATE it, but USE it WISELY. We can limit time on Facebook and
Formspring and do more productive things in our lives. We all should take 10
seconds to think about our actions. THINK before uploading that picture on Facebook.
THINK before asking that hateful question on Formspring.
THINK before joining that stereotypical group in Facebook.
THINK before commenting on someone's appearance on FORMSPRING.