Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Iceland Presentation
1491-m-high Hekla is one of Iceland's most known and active volcanoes. It has frequent eruptions that start with an explosive start up producing eruption plumes, then lava fountains and accumulates in large lava flows. We will be seeing this mountain from afar on our escorted tour in July.
Eiríksjökull (Icelandic for "Eirík's glacier") is a glacier in Iceland, with an area of 22 square km (8.5 sq mi) reaching a height of 1,675 m (5,495 ft), rising over 1,000 m (3,300 ft) above its surrounding. We will also see this in our escorted tour in July.
A river in northern Iceland, and a great place for sightseeing! It originated from glaciers in the Tröllaskagi peninsula. It also was used as a power supply, and it formed the sandbank of Odderyi!
One of the most popular tourist attractions in Iceland, also known as Golden River, it is stunning. The water plunges into a crevice, but you can't see it, so it st looks as if a mighty river is simply vanishing into the Earth.
Plate Bounderies of Iceland
-Iceland lies on the divergent boundary between the Eurasian Plate and the North American Plate
-Lies above a hotspot, known as the Iceland Plume
-The Iceland plume is believed to have caused the formation of iceland itself
-Iceland is characterized by repeating volcanic and geothermal phenomena, such as geysers
-A volcanic eruption happened during September 2014!
-Earthquakes can happen very often in Iceland, so you may feel an earthquake in Iceland
-There was an Earthquake warning made in Hengill Volcano on May 20th, 2015
-They can be very dangerous in Iceland, or just very little danger
Map of Iceland
The Vatnajökull glacier takes up one twelfth of Iceland. To give us Americans an idea of what it looks like, it is bigger than the state of Connecticut. Here, you could go ice climbing, a very adventurous and exciting adventure.
The Glera River
Volcano Safety Tips
• Stay away from active volcanoes.
• If you live near an active volcano, keep goggles and a mask in an emergency kit, along with a flashlight and a working, battery-operated radio.
• Know your evacuation route. Keep gas in your car.
If a Volcano Erupts in Your Area
• Evacuate only as recommended by authorities to stay clear of lava, mud flows, and flying rocks and debris.
• Avoid river areas and low-lying regions.
• Before you leave the house, change into long-sleeved shirts and long pants and use goggles or eyeglasses, not contacts. Wear an emergency mask or hold a damp cloth over your face.
• If you are not evacuating, close windows and doors and block chimneys and other vents, to prevent ash from coming into the house.
• Be aware that ash may put excess weight on your roof and need to be swept away. Wear protection during cleanups.
• Ash can damage engines and metal parts, so avoid driving. If you must drive, stay below 35 miles (56 kilometers) an hour
The Conclusion Part 1
-We think earthquakes can occur rather very quickly, as for volcanoes, they can occur also the same way, because these events keep occurring in Iceland
We suggest that you learn how to be safe during an earthquake and/or volcano eruption, so you can be safe and still enjoy our tours. Our Volcano Safety Tips are what we can give you tips on, but make sure you know how to be safe during eruptions or earthquakes, before you go on our tour. We also suggest leaving very valuable valuables at home, so they do not get destroyed or lost. Have fun on your trip!
Here in all of these mountains and volcanoes, you could:
1. Go whale watching
2. Go hiking all the wonderful mountains
3. See the Northern Lights between September and April
4. Go ice climbing on the Vatnajökull glacier
5. Or just spend the day in a geothermal spa or pool
What you could do:
What to bring:
First, you will need layers and layers of clothes. Iceland doesn't have its name for no reason! Second, you would need good shoes. This is because during the hiking trips, your shoes would be worn out from running. Then you would need to bring sunglasses. Here in Iceland, the sun shines for 19 hours a day! Remember to bring your swimsuit. Places like Blue Lagoon have geothermal spas and pools. So relaxing!!! And finally, to carry all these essentials, bring a backpack!!!
Iceland is a very cool place to visit, and there are many cool sights to see and fun activities to do. But be cautious, because a geologic event, like a volcanic eruption or earthquake can happen at almost any time. This trip would also be physically demanding, and please, read the safety precautions before going on this tour.
Earthquake Safety Precautions
1. Stay away from anything that could fall over
2. Take cover in a safe place
3. Don't go outside until the earthquake stops
4. Get under something sturdy to protect yourself from falling objects
5. Use your arms to protect your head and neck
Extreme Eco-Adventure Activities
There are some really cool things you can do in Iceland. You can go to a geothermal spa, scuba diving, boat tours and more in Iceland! See the pictures in the next few slides of our customers doing those activities!
You can go scuba diving in Iceland.
You can go snowboarding on an Iceland tour.
You can take a boat tour in Iceland. As you can see here it is near one of Iceland's glaciers.
Or you could take a boat tour in just a regular lake and see the sea animals.
The Iceland Region
These are some pictures of the Iceland reigon
Conclusion part 2
Iceland is a great place to visit, with great sights to see and a great place to do fun activities. But there are the geologic events that can happen as well, so be careful! We hope that you would enjoy this wonderful experiences to enjoy with your friends and family. See you there!!!
Divergent Boundary- A tectonic plate boundary in which tectonic plates spread apart.
By the way, this tour is $777, which is quite cheap for a tour. We provide a 24 hour emergency service, but please stay away from any harm. Our insurance covers all injuries. This is a 10 day and 9 night trip, so get packed up!!! We do provide living essentials, but that would be at a separate cost. This tour does not include the flight cost, but would get a $200 gift card if you book your flight on Delta Airlines. Here, you would also get a FREE rental car for 9 of the days you are here. This trip is only 3 hours, whereas the normal trip would be 5 hours and 30 minutes. This is a 200% guarantee that you WILL like this tour. We hope you enjoy this tour of the glorious Iceland!!!