Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Heart of the Gospel
Transcript of The Heart of the Gospel
"You will receive the power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be my witness" (Acts 1:8)
"I am with you always, to the end of the age" (Matt. 28:20)
The Executor of the Trinity
A Neglected Teaching
"some people in the church, I am afraid, are absent when it comes to the teaching in the Bible of the Holy Spirit."
The Holy Spirit gets overlooked.
The Presence of God
"He is God in action, through whom all that God does in the world is accomplished."
The Spirit is a Person
"Ultimately the whole realm of personal salvation falls within his operation."
The Holy Spirit
The Spirit in the Church
The Pentecost Outpouring
The promise began to unfold at Pentecost.
"A new era of the kingdom had begun in the Spirit-filled witnessess. The Gospel had become life AND power winthin them."
Acts of the Spirit
"More than fifty times he is specifically mentioned, more than in any other book of the Bible"
"Suffice it to say now, to use the words of Jesus, 'It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all.' (John 6:63)"
1. God acts in the world by his spirit.
2. The spirit makes the word of God come alive.
3. The spirit extends the invitation.
4.Trifling with the Spirit is dangerous.
5. The Spirit is sovereign in the church.
6. The Spirit enables us to pray.
7. The out pouring of the Spirit at Pentecost ushered in the age of the harvest.
8. The comming of the Holy Spirit fulfills the promise of the Great Commision.
The Spirit in the Old Testament
Creating Human Life
"the Spirit is the link between God and his created people"
Ministring in the Spirit
At Jesus first invitation to speak he wanted to make it clear what the source of his ministry was
He stood up and read the scroll of Isaiah (Isaiah 61:1-2)
"Thus by associating his work with the Spirit, Jesus was saying that God was moving again among his people. It was an end to an era of alienation and the beginning of a time of grace."
His Continuing Presence
"Just as Jesus led them when they were together, now the Spirit led them."
Chapters 9 & 10
The Heart of the Gospel
" Amazing Grace!
How sweet the sound!
That saved a wretch like me. I once was lost,
but now I'm found,
Was blind but now I see."
The Grace of God
Love That Will Never Let Us Go
"Grace, within the context of the Gospel, is the free gift of a merciful God. Mankind was made to glorify our Creator and to enjoy his fellowship, we have all turned to our own way, scorning his love, blaspheming his name, and have brought on ourselves a sentence of death."
"Grace stands in contradiction to every human effort to justify oursleves before God. It excludes any pretense of self-achieved righteousness."
God Alone Its Source
"Grace displays God's character."
Disclosed in Christ
"To live by grace is to live by the mind of Christ. He is our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. Any good thing about us is not in oursleves but outside of us is Christ whose life comes into the redemed through the power of the Holy Spirit."
"God's benefience to the world, often called common grace, extends to every aspect of human existence."
"To sinner and saint alike, 'the Lord is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made' (ps. 145:9)"
Godlike acts, acts that exemplify the heights that a human being can rise by God's grace make us glad and call forth praise.
However, as admirable as they are, none of them are able to earn us our salvation.
Must Be Recieved
People are blinded by sin, and believe that for recieving devine favor, you have to follow the same criteria by which humans follow give honor to others- they have to earn it.
"Responding to the Gopel is finally a personal decision every person makes themselves."
Irresistible to the Elect
"It is reasoned, those who were elected in Christ, and "called according to his purpose" (Rom. 8:28), will be saved." They cannot do other wise."
"This preparatory grace is comprehensive, including any movement of man toward God, and involves illimunating divine truth, conviction of sin, call to repentance, and the exercise of saving faith."
Distorted Views of Grace
Lure of Humanism
"Humanist reason that, good deeds make up for what we lack... The fallacy is that we have no merit to start with."
The idea hidden in humanism is that God needs our assistance in redempion.
Trap of Legalism
Related to the self-inflating effort of Humanism, Legalism's attraction is the appeal of moralism in fostering a Christian lifestyle.
"This attitude not only contradicts the nature of true holiness, but also destroys any opportunity to give the watching world a postive witness to the Gospel of grace."
The Deception of Antinomianism
"Avoiding the trap of legalism, however, does not release one from keeping the law of God."
When you are saved you will feel motivated to obey God's laws.
1. Grace is more easily imagined than explained.
2. Grace fills life with gradtitude.
3. Grace seperates Christianity from other world religions.
4. No one is beyond the reach of grace.
5. Grace should be accepted when offered.
6. There is limitless sufficiency.
7. Grace levels the playing field.
8. The church will never cease to celebrate the grace of God.
1. Pentecost- the descent of the Holy Spirit on the disciples of Jesus after his Ascension.
2. Common Grace- grace that extends to every aspect of human existence.
3. Prevenient Grace- the operation of God's grace in the heart before one comes to Christ.
4. Humanism- the exaltation of man as opposed to the glory of God.
5. Legalism- the appeal of moraliam in fostering a Christian lifestyle.
6. Antinomianism- when someone holds that under the gospel dispensation of grace the moral law is of no use or obligation because faith alone is necessary to salvation.
7. the Elect- those who were elected by Christ and called according to his purpose.
8. Great Commision- the instruction of Jesus Christ to his disciples that they spread his teachings to all the nations of the world.
9. Saving Grace- the redeeming grace of God.
10. the Trinity- the Christian Godhead as one God in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.