Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Mini writing lesson - Introductions and Conclusions
Transcript of Copy of Mini writing lesson - Introductions and Conclusions
Structure of an introduction
Writing Successful Introductions and Conclusions
- brief, relevant background information
- A thesis statement (an opinion related to the topic)
- An essay map (introduce your 3 subtopics related to your topic)
- transition sentence leading to your first subtopic paragraph
- A general statement about the subject
- Beginning to focus onto the topic
- Becoming more specific
- Specific thesis statement
What should an Introduction do?
An introduction must:
- Alert a reader’s interest
- Act as a navigation guide to its reader
- Show the reader how you the author is interpreting the question/issue/topic
- Provide a context for the main idea
- Indicate the focus of the paper
- Give one or two examples of the kind of thing you are going to write about
- Give unusual or colorful details
- Begin with a relevant quotation
- Begin with a question (which can be answered in the essay's conclusion)
How to make your introduction interesting
What should a conclusion do?
- Be a logical ending to what has been previously been discussed. It must pull together all of the parts of your argument and refer the reader back to the focus you have outlined in your introduction and to the central topic. This gives your essay a sense of unity.
Never contain any new information.
- Be only a paragraph in length, but in an extended essay (3000+ words) it may be better to have two or three paragraphs to pull together the different parts of the essay.
- Add to the overall quality and impact of the essay. This is your final statement about this topic; thus it can make a great impact on the reader.
The Content of a conclusion
- A summary of the arguments presented in the body and how these relate to the essay question
- A restatement of the main point of view presented in the introduction in response to the topic
- The implications of this view or what might happen as a result.
Structure of a conclusion
Link to previous paragraph
- Brief summary
- Identify main reasons/causes/factors
- Reinforce the thesis statement (see Introductions)
- Broad implications of this view OR future relevance of topic and thesis
A Bad Introduction...
A Good Introduction...
"The role of women has changed over the centuries, and it has also differed from civilization to civilization. Some societies have treated women much like property, while others have allowed women to have great influence and power."
"The role of women in Western society has changed dramatically over the centuries, from the repression of ancient Greece to the relative freedom of women living in Medieval France. The treatment of women has also differed from civilization to civilization, even at the same period in history. Some societies such as Islamic ones have treated women much like property while others, like ancient Egypt, have allowed women to have great influence and power. This paper will trace the development of women's rights and powers from ancient Egypt to late medieval France and explore their changing political, social and economic situation through time. All the various means women have used to assert themselves show the different ways they have fought against repression and established themselves in authority."
A Conclusion that needs work...
Polar bears are interesting creatures because they are white and fluffy and I like them on the Coke commercials. I hope you liked my paragraph.
How is this introduction better?
These are suggestions only.
Find your own style!!
How is a 5-paragraph essay's conclusion similar to a novel's denoument?