Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

The history of Special Education

No description
by

Gracie Russell

on 24 April 2015

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of The history of Special Education

Congress adds Title VI to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 creating a Bureau of Education for the Handicapped (this bureau today is called the Office of Special Education Programs or OSEP).
The History of Special Education
1972
Two significant supreme court decisions [PARC v. Pennsylvania (1972) and Mills v. D.C. Board of Education (1972)] apply the equal protection argument to students with disabilities.
1973
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is enacted into statute. This national law protects qualified individuals from discrimination based on their disability.
1975
The Education for All Handicapped Children Act (EAHCA) is enacted. This was also known as P.L. 94-142. Today we know this law as the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
1977
The final federal regulations of EAHCA are released.
Look how far we have come!
Before the arrangement of Special Education, parents with children requiring that assistance had little choice but to home school their children.
1965
1990
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is enacted.
The EAHCA is amended and is now called the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
1990

IDEA reauthorized
1997

No Child Left Behind is enacted.
2001
2004
IDEA reauthorized
1961
John F. Kennedy created the president's panel for mental retardation
This announcement made it possible for children with disabilities to be able to enroll in public school and receive primary education.
1970's
Despite the invitation for Special needs children to attend public school there was little enrollment.
This Act promoted a non-bias approach to the integration of such kids.
At this point, the right to public education was given to all children regardless of disability. This opened the doors of public school, but in a sense did not open the hallways and the classrooms. Disabled children were kept into their own classroom.
*Among these is the idea that education must be tailored to meet the needs of the individual child with a disability.
This act was signed by Pres. George Bush, this act was created so as to keep individuals from segregating individuals with disabilities from participating in recreational activities, such as employment, education,
Citations:


"The History of Special Education in the United States." The History of Special Education in the United States. Special Education News, 31 Dec. 2009. Web. 15 Apr. 2015.

"ADA - Americans with Disabilities Act." ADA - Americans with Disabilities Act. Special Education News, 31 Dec. 2009. Web. 15 Apr. 2015.


"ADA - Americans with Disabilities Act." ADA - Americans with Disabilities Act. Special Education News, 31 Dec. 2009. Web. 15 Apr. 2015.




Currently, state and local institutions provide 91 percent of special education funding, while federal funds take care of the remaining 9 percent when states meet federal criteria.
Full transcript