Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Use of map and compass: Intro, types of maps, reliability & care
Transcript of Use of map and compass: Intro, types of maps, reliability & care
RELIABILITY OF MAPS
USE OF MAP AND COMPASS
END OF LESSON
INTRODUCTION, TYPES OF MAPS, RELIABILITY & CARE
By Emma Luxton
DIFFERENT TYPES OF MAPS
FOLDING A MAP
WHAT IS A MAP?
A map is a visual representation of an area. Within day-to-day life, one uses signposts or landmarks to register certain rutes.
WHY ARE MAPS USEFUL?
When travelling across unfamiliar land, maps provide a birds-eye view of their location and information such as contour lines, rivers, lakes and other land marks, making navigation and orientation easier.
- Explain what a map is and how it is made
- Show different types of maps
- Teach you how to fold and care for your map correctly
HOW IS A MAP MADE?
- Cartography (map making)
- The first maps were made by
hand, painted or drawn
- Improvements in technology enabled cartographers to refine their skills and produce larger and more accurate maps.
- The invention of the
allowed cartographers to improve map
of maps and
is used to make modern maps, such as
Google Street View map
, allowing users to pick a point on the map and view the location as if they were standing there.
CARE OF MAPS
- A map is only accurate at the time it was
- This is because many things can change. Such as infrastructure, new roads and building may be build, schools or hospitals could be pulled down, rivers may change shape.
- Aerial photos
It is very important that maps are treated with care, otherwise it may be too damaged or unreadable when you need it most.
How to care for your map:
-Fold it correctly
-Do not draw on your map unless with a light pencil
- Keep it in a transparent case so it is protected from rain or other materials.
First the map is folded lengthwise with the map outwards.
Then it is folded like a concertina.
This makes the map a useful size for storing or travel and easily accessible without damaging your map.
1. What is the name of a map maker?
2. How were the first maps made?
3. When is a map most accurate?
4. Why is this?
5. Give 3 examples of different types of maps
6. Why is it important to fold and care for your map correctly?
SUMMARY: WHAT YOU SHOULD NOW KNOW
- Explain what a map is and how it is made,their uses and importance.
- Be able to identify different types of maps
- Know how to care for and fold your map correctly