Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Scholarship Jacket
Transcript of The Scholarship Jacket
THE SCHOLARSHIP JACKET
As we read...
WORDS, ACTIONS, and THOUGHTS
that help you identify the
conflict, resolution, and the mood
track how the characters of "The Scholarship Jacket" change
from beginning to end.
What's the problem?!
What is the conflict?
1. After you read "The Scholarship Jacket" compare your notes with a partner.
2. Discuss the questions on the THEME worksheet and write down your answers with examples of evidence (quotes).
Post-it Note Group Activity
1. Assign roles (group leader, materials manager, data collector,
2. Discuss possible themes using green handout
3. Once your group decides on a theme begin looking for evidence in the story that proves your theme
4. Once you find evidence the data collector records the theme and the evidence (quote) on the post-it provided and sticks it on the THEME poster
Make sure your group members' names are on the back of the post-it
Anything that conveys a lesson or message (THEME)
• The ________________________ is the outcome of a conflict in a story
• Today we will need to look at how _____________________ can influence the resolution in a conflict
• We will do this by looking for characters' ______________________,
_______________________ and _______________________________.
• From identifying the ___________________________, we will then make connections
to the text and find the ________________________________.
• The theme is the overall ____________________________ or
______________________________ you learn from the ____________________________.
What is the resolution?
Moe steals Calvin's truck and when Calvin tries to get it back, Moe wants to fight him
Calvin does not fight and walks
away from the truck
Sometimes we have to decide what things are worth fighting for and walk away from things we might want
Someone asked me to help them cheat during the exam, but I felt that I had to act with so I refused.
Based on the sentence above, integrity most likely means
c) strong moral principles
Objective: Students will be able to determine the theme of "The Scholarship Jacket" by analyzing the characters and plot
How does the
of the story,
and Martha's grandfather's role in it
, support the idea that we should be honest and principled in the face of adversity?
"My oldest sister, Rosie, had won the jacket a few years back, and I fully expected to also" (second paragraph).
What does this tell/show us about the main character?
"I was called "beanpole" and "string bean," and I knew that's what I looked like. A flat chest, no hips, and a brain" (p. 228, first paragraph).
What can we infer about Martha now?
Discuss the questions in pairs