Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
LN 4.1 - The Great War Begins
Transcript of LN 4.1 - The Great War Begins
Lasted from 1914-1918 and was fought in Europe
Causes of War
The Central Powers
Germany & Italy & Austria-Hungary
The Triple Alliance
- an informal agreement between countries
Included France, Russia, and Britain among others.
The Triple Entente
Economic Competition caused countries to hate each other. Countries wanted to have the most…
Arms (Weapons, Military)
Countries Practice Militarism
- Glorification (Glory)and building up of the military.
Economic Competition Fuels Tension
Nationalism fueled countries to want to be the best and strongest.
-Ex. Russia believed they had to support all Slavic people. So they backed a country called Serbia, a new country (due to nationalism, made up of slavs and slavic people.)
The Balkan Wars
- fueled tension in south slavic states. (encouraged by nationalism)
Many Balkan nations attacked Turkey and took a huge chunk of land away, because they wanted their own land.
The war started with the
Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand
-Bosnia was under the control of Austria.
-Many Serbs and Slavs lived in Bosnia, they saw Austrians as
"Take Me Out"
, The capital of Bosnia, and
fired two shots into his car and assassinated the archduke and his wife, Sophie
declared war on
after the assassination.
Alliances began to kick in.
As one country began to back another
almost every country in Europe chose a side
, this progression is called the
Neutral = not choosing a side
Russia and the Allies began to
to support Serbia and prepare military for war
The Central powers did the same.
The "Domino Effect"
LN 4.1 - The Great War Begins
Old Man Kerber's Slang Word of the Day
Knight's Charge - 4/2/14
are one of the leading caudes of WWI.
France and Germany hate each other, after France lost the Franco-Prussian War.
To Protect Germany,
with Italy and Austria-Hungary.
WHAT IS A TREATY?
GERMANY MADE THEIR ARMY HUGE!!!!
The Powder Keg
states became known as the
, because it was ready to explode from anger and nationalism tensions.
A Serbian Nationalist group, called
The Black Hand
, wanted to assassinate (kill) The Archduke.
1) Write two things that you know about World War I.
2) What is something that you would like to know about WWI?
3) How was war fought in the 1800s before WWI? What do you think it "LOOKED LIKE"?
4) What inventions could help war become more deadly?
5) How do you think "
" could add to tensions and conflict in the world?