Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Religions of the World
Transcript of Religions of the World
Religion is the belief in a god or gods or any such system in belief or worship. How many religions are known to exist in the world?
There are over 750 million individually identified religions in the world.
Judaism The holy text of this religion is the Torah. Judaism does not have a modern day leader, like a pope. All rabbis are trained and work together to spread the religion.
Three main beliefs in this religion are:
1. Jews believe in God, but don't believe that Jesus was the Messiah.
2. Jews don’t believe in hell.
3. Jews reject the idea that God ever takes human form.
This religion is Monotheistic.
Three main branches of Judaism are Orthodox, Reform, and Conservative.
One holiday of this religion is Passover. It celebrates recalling the angel of death "passing over" the Hebrews, as the first born of the Egyptians were taken by death of the last of the great plagues brought by God on the Egyptian captors. They celebrate this by having a home and synagogue ceremonial meal. It recalls the bitter experience of slavery in Egypt and the haste of the escape, or "Exodus.“(from thinkquest.org) Three main beliefs of this religion are:
1. There is only one God
2. God is three in one or the Trinity
3.God is omniscient and all knowing.
Christianity(: The main holy person of this religion is God/The Trinity.
The holy text of this religion is The Bible.
This religion is monotheistic.
The holiday of this religion is Christmas. It celebrates the birth of Jesus and we celebrate it by giving, praising God, and spending time with family.
The three main branches of Christianity are Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant.
Two differences in Catholics and Protestants are Protestants believe that the Bible alone is the sole source of God’s special revelation to mankind, and as such it teaches us all that is necessary for our salvation from sin. Catholics view the Bible as the standard by which all Christian behavior must be measured.(from religionfacts.com)
The Catholic Church and the Protestant Church split up because the Reformation was a movement in the 16th century to reform the Catholic Church in Western Europe. Soon, the reformers split from the Church altogether, founding four major church traditions and dozens of sub-denominations, all of which are considered adherents of "Protestantism". (from answers.com)
Islamic The sacred text of this religion is the Qur'an (or Koran) and the Hadith (or Hadeeth).
In Islam, no one of mankind is considered holy. Even prophets are not considered holy.
Three main beliefs of this religion are:
1. Muslims must refrain from evil, such as lying, stealing, murder/harming others. Muslims are not allowed to lie, especially about their religion.
2. You must have total faith in God, whether in times of hardship or success.
3. You must make every effort to behave kindly and righteously in all areas of your life.
This religion is monotheistic.
The two main branches of this religion are Sunni and Shi`a. The Sunni branch believes that the first four caliphs--Mohammed's successors--rightfully took his place as the leaders of Muslims. The difference between Sunni and Shiite are that Shiites, in contrast, believe that only the heirs of the fourth caliph, Ali, are the legitimate successors of Mohammed.
The holiday of this religion is Ramadan. Each year, Muslims spend a month in daytime fasting, during the 9th month of the Islamic calendar called Ramadan. Scientology