Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Popular Music
By: Aubree, BentLee ,& Eli
* The Beatles influenced a generation – more than one, really – with their melodies and harmonies, and that was apparent in the 1970s, when pop careened through several styles, from the Glam Rock of T. Rex to the raw fire of punk. But the biggest pop star to emerge from the period was a singer and pianist, Elton John, whose popularity has remained constant.
The idea of artists writing their own material remained in the wake of the Fab Four, although professional songwriters stayed in demand for those unable to pen a tune. From the early days of rock there had been “manufactured” stars – people taken on board for a pretty face rather than any innate talent, and made into stars by producers. It had happened to Adam Faith, Alvin Stardust and many others, most of whom only enjoyed short careers.
* The first major pop stars as such were the crooners of the 1930's and 40's. Bing Crosby sold millions of records, as did Frank Sinatra ( arguably the first pop star,with screaming teenage female fans - the Bobbysoxers ) and in Britian,AL Bowly
* Curiously,pop music charts as such didn't exist until 1952, when the first Top Twenty was recoded.It came at an interesting time,as "teenagers" really came into being. Historically there'd been no transitional period between childhood and adulthood. Now after World War II, that seemed to begin, imported from America skiffle interpretation of American Folk music ( personified by Lonnie Donegan ), teens found their music.
* Michael Jackson was a huge pop star.
*His nick named was King of Pop!
* Michael Jackson is one of the few artists
that have been inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame twice.
The definition of pop music is purposefully flexible as the music that is identified as pop is constantly changing. At any particular point in time it may be easiest to identify pop music as that which is successful on the pop music charts. For the past 50 years the most successful musical styles on the pop charts have continually changed and evolved. However, there are some consistent patterns in what is identified as pop music.
* The term "pop song" is first recorded as being used 1926,in the sense of a piece of music "having popular appeal".
* Pop is short for popular music favored by the public.
* Pop music has been and continues to be a melting pot of styles. The genres most frequently drawn from are hip hop, R&B, rock, and country. However, influences have been pulled from music as widely variant as classical and African drums.
* The most consistent component of pop music has been the concept of the pop song. Most pop songs range in length from approximately 2 minutes to 5 minutes, and they frequently include a verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus structure or some close variant. Longer compositions are rare in pop music.
THANK YOU FOR WATCHING OUR PRESENTATION