Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Seminar Proposal Skripsi
Transcript of Copy of Seminar Proposal Skripsi
The Objective of the Research
Thanks for Attention
1. The teacher lacks of meaningful listening material in teaching listening skill.
Review of Related Literature
Background of Study
The teacher lacks of meaningful listening material in teaching listening skill.
The students’ listening comprehension is very low
IMPROVING STUDENTS’ LISTENING COMPREHENSION THROUGH TEXT-TO-SPEECH SOFTWARE TO THE SECOND YEAR STUDENTS OF SMAN 1 MAROS
2. The students get difficulties in comprehending oral texts.
Derived from the problems identified above, the writer focuses on how to improve the students’ listening comprehension, especially listening comprehension of the second year students.
The problem that will be analyzed in this research are:
This research is aimed at improving the students' listening comprehension through Text-to-Speech software.
Benefits of the Study
1. For the writer, it will be a fruitful journey to explore his own teaching experience and broaden the horizon of his English language teaching.
2. For the students, they can improve their listening comprehension and can use it to receive input and data in language learning.
3. For other teachers, they get inspired to teach English through Computer Assisted Language Learning. In this research, Text-to-Speech software is applied to improve listening comprehension. There are many possibilities to explore in Computer Assisted Language Learning.
4. For the school, it will provide valuable information for the improvement of English Language Teaching.
5. For other researchers, it can be a reference for further similar studies.
1. Definitions of Listening
Definitions of listening, ranging from the simple to the expansive, have been proposed by various scholars. Rankin (1952) in Thanajaro (2000: 11) defined listening as "… the ability to understand spoken language". Another expanded definition also cited by him is Johnson (1951)’s definition which goes "… the ability to understand and respond effectively to oral communication". Additionally she quotes Jones (1956) who defines that listening is as a selective process by which sounds communicated by some source are received, critically interpreted, and acted upon by a purposeful listener.
Listening is not simply hearing or perceiving speech sounds. It can be concluded, from reviewing a number of proposed definitions, that listening is an active process involving four interrelated activities: receiving aural stimuli, attending to the spoken words, attaching meaning to the aural symbols, and responding to oral communication.
Review of Related Literature
2. Importance of Listening Comprehension
“Listening is the most frequently employed skill in daily language use. Research results vary slightly, depending upon the groups studied, but on the average, time spent in communicating divides into approximately 50 percent listening, 25 percent speaking, 15 percent reading, and 10 percent writing”. Scarcella and Oxford (1992: 139) simply mention a similar trend of listening comprehension that it occupies more than half of the time spent by college students in lectures. Powers (1985) reports that listening skills actually play a crucially important role in one‟s academic success.
3. Text-to-Speech Software
With the introduction of advanced technology, especially computers, it cannot be denied that language learning and teaching have become more interesting and attractive to learners. It allows them to access primary source materials, have experience with different people and places and be exposed to a variety of language resources and forms all of which can boost their enthusiasm. In terms of listening comprehension, computers are brought in because they provide learners with an opportunity to deal with listening texts in a more precise way than tape cassettes or video players.
Richards and Schmidt (2002: 503) define that speech synthesis is the automatic synthesis of speech-like sounds by a computer using a speech
On the basis of the rationale above, the hypothesis is formulated as follows:
Students’ listening comprehension can be improved by learning English through Text-to-Speech software.
The model of classroom action research used is based on Kemmis and Mc Taggart‟s (1985). There are four steps in the classroom action research implemented according to this model as follows:
1. Identifying problems and planning the action;
2. Implementing the action and observing or monitoring the action;
3. Reflecting the result of the observation;
4. Revising the plan.
The Model of Action Research
The techniques of data collection applied in the classroom research are:
2. Content Analysis
The Techniques of Collecting the Data
Azhar MZ (20400111022)
The Identification of the Problem
1. Can and to what extent the application of Text-to-Speech software improve the students‟ listening comprehension?
2. What happens with classroom situation when Text-to-Speech software is used in teaching and learning process of listening comprehension?
Object of the Research
This Classroom action research will be conducted at a state owned senior high school in Maros, South Sulawesi province, namely: SMAN 1 Maros. It is located on Jl. Mangga No.1 Phone: 0411-371079. Fax: 0411-374375. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject of the Research
The subject of the study is the second year students of SMAN 1 Maros
The Method of the Research
In order to improve students’ listening comprehension through Text-to-Speech software, the researcher applies a classroom action research
A. Qualitative Data
Qualitative data from research diary, pre-research observation reports, field notes, record of research implementation, video recording/ photographs of teaching learning process and research documents consisting of lesson plan, lesson tasks are analyzed by using Constant Comparative Method.
B. Quantitative Data
Students‟ listening comprehension is measured by using quantitative analysis.
The mean scores of the students are analyzed to find out whether the students‟ listening comprehension is improved or not after English teaching-learning process through Text-to-Speech software is held.
Technique for Analyzing Data