Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Filipino Values and Communication
Transcript of Filipino Values and Communication
Norms- are rules of conduct specific to situations or conditions where behavior takes place.
The closest Filipino term to value is kahalagahan. It is derived from the word halaga, meaning precious, essential, vital, important, desirable, and significant. Halaga is also used as an economic term, meaning price or worth. On the whole, kahalagahan transcends all this and can be viewed as a set of principles that Filipinos hold so dearly, that they are willing to sacrifice even their lives for it.
The kapwa (relational imperatives) - refers to equality in status or of being a part of an entity.
Dominant norms are pakikisama, pakikitungo, pakikiramay.
• Damdamin (emotional imperatives) - refers to the emphasis Filipinos place on feelings or emotions. It focuses attention on the mode and specificity of relations. Damdamin can also mean refined or tender feeling, a state of mind, a disposition, or a spirit. Because of this concern, damdamin underlies much of Filipinos way of relating to all conditions, situations, and realities of things around him. Dominant norms are hiya, amor propio/delicadeza and awa.
• Dangal (moral imperatives) - refers to personal honor and dignity. As a moral norm it is used to characterize identity, pride and commitment to ideas, principles, practices and people. As a value, it summarizes the kapwa and the damdamin into one integrated whole.
FILIPINO CORE VALUES
Filipinos give emphasis on
. These three elements in the value system underlie and give to Filipino modes of communication as well as decision making. These modes include pagsangguni, paghihikayat and pagkakasundo
CORE VALUES AND BEHAVIOR
These characteristics are a challenge for every Filipino. In order to attain development and progress, they must value and prioritize their strengths rather than hide under the clutches of their weaknesses. Embracing the strengths and conquering their weaknesses will truly help the Filipino nation go forward in attaining its plans and aspirations for a richer and more fun Philippines where most foreign countries will be jealous of.
Values- Values are commonly shared standards on the basis of which people judge things around them as right or wrong, good or bad, just or unjust, appropriate or inappropriate.
Pagsangguni means “to consult.” Filipinos always expect to be consulted. This is one way of avoiding conflicts from transgressions of relational, emotional, and moral imperatives governing behavior
Paghihikayat involves expectation. It means to persuade or to convince. This explains why Filipinos do not go directly to the point. They are almost always ambiguous in their communication
The third mode of communication resulting from the core values is pagkakasundo. It means consensus. Filipino culture is not confrontational in orientation; it is consensual. Consensus is desired as a mode of communication because in this way transgressing the principles of kapwa, damdamin, and dangal is avoided. Avoidance of conflict, if possible, is sought after because internally what is being emphasized in the value system is respect, honor, and dignity of those one is interacting with.
THE FILIPINO WAY
In Filipino psychology, halaga and all its enduring attributes are embodied in the concept of asal. The term refers to the inner representation of external behavioral realities. It is standard for what is at once good, desirable, moral, ethical, beautiful and true in life.
RESPECT FOR ELDERS
UTANG NA LOOB
Ingenuity and Creativity
Patience and Self-sacrifice
BAHALA NA ATTITUDE
LACK OF SPORTMANSHIP