Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
NISOD 2012: Making the CASE for Innovative Faculty-to-Faculty Professional Development
Transcript of NISOD 2012: Making the CASE for Innovative Faculty-to-Faculty Professional Development
As you are waiting for things to begin, please take out your smartphone/smartdevice and download a QR code reader. There should be a variety of FREE QR code reader apps in your device's App Store.For example,i-nigma works really well on iPhones.
As of 2008, the average U.S. household had more than 118.6 television channels; In 1985 the average was 19 channels (Nielson Media Research).
There were more than 845 million active users on Facebook at the end of December 2011 (Facebook Statistics).
There are more than 48hrs of video uploaded every minute on Youtube (Youtube FAQ).
There were 491.4 million smartphones sold in 2011 (Mobithinking).
Aproximately,37.5 million tablets were sold in 2011, this number does not include e-readers (via PCWorld)
10 Minute Rule
Pictures = 1000
The 10 Minute Rule
Pictures = 1000
A transactive memory system is a system through which groups collectively encode, store, and retrieve knowledge (Wegner 1985)
Oracle of Bacon
I have a Dream?
Making the CASE
For Innovative Faculty-to-Faculty Professional Devlopment
By James May & Rob McCaffrey
4) The key to success in teaching is simplification (less is more).
3) If properly tapped, the collective wisdom, experience and creativity of any group of practicing educators far surpasses that of any individual expert of any stature or fame.
2) Creativity in teaching is enhanced by mixing teachers of diverse fields, experience levels, and interests.
1) In the long run, teachers learn to teach best from one another. Properly facilitated shop talk can be the highest form of staff development.
The Great Teachers Movement was originally started in 1969 by David B. Gottshall and was originally called "The Illinois Great Teachers Seminar
The focus of the seminar is not on the teaching of specific fields, but rather on the art of teaching as such. The emphasis is on the nature of a great teacher. It is a quest for The Great Teacher, and, as in the case of any quest, the questers learn much about themselves.
For another year or two, we will give Mike McHargue credit for the CASE (Copy And Steal Everything) philosophy of faculty development
There are no manuals or handbooks, only a few simple guidelines. Everything is passed on by oral tradition in order to prevent the development of any form of true-believership or fixed procedure that might come to be followed to the letter and of which the education professional would soon tire.
The trouble with schedules is that, once they are announced, one must stick to them or one appears “out of control”. Thus, there is no room for alteration of any sort or merit. If something useful comes up, it must be rejected.
Thanks for coming! Here is the QR code to our presentation! There are also cards in the back with information about TeacherTricks.org