Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of DARK TOURISM
TYPES OF DARK TOURISM
- visit a scene of some tragic event
- visitor attraction after some kind of natural disaster
- tours to slum areas and poverty stricken towns
- refers to the thinking that you should hurry up and visit particular places which are under threat, usually as a result of environmental problems and globing warming
TYPES OF DARK TOURISM CONT...
- includes two forms:
it involves people traveling to a particular destination with the intention of committing suicide, often by jumping from a famous landmark
it takes into account the various laws related to euthanasia in different countries.
It can bring back travel visitation which will provide economic value to community/destination after a tragedy
Example: POMPEII -> it works for educational purposes since it brings awareness to the public about past events and it helps tourists learn about past history and new culture
Example: DHARAVI SLUM -> creates or increases voluntourism
WHAT IS DARK TOURISM?
Involves traveling to places that are associated with PAIN, SUFFERING, DEATH & TRAGEDY
Also known as THANATOURISM in Academia
What is Dark Tourism?
Types of Dark Tourism
Top 10 Dark Tourism Destinations
Insights: Positive and Negative
Effects on Tourism Industry
POSITIVE IMPACTS CONT...
Example: ASIAN TSUNAMI IN 2004 (HURRICANE KATRINA) -> Improvement infrastructure, maintenance of Historic Sites, Jobs for the locals
It glorifies past tragedies, limiting communities from moving on
It can create hostility from the locals
Tourists could hinder the regeneration of an area because of higher demand on transport and accommodation while still recovering from destruction
NEGATIVE IMPACTS CONT...
Profits made by tourism could be used for other purposes instead of going into the proper places in order to rebuild the community of affected by the tragedy
Is it ethical?
It can be seen as a form of exploitation
EFFECTS ON TOURISM INDUSTRY
Growth: Dark tourism has become a trend because tourists are demanding more authentic and unique experiences and they are looking for thrill and adventure
Introduction of New Tour Operator Companies
Examples: Escapes Unlimited (Cambodia killing fields and genocide museum), Reality Tours and Travel ( Specializes Slum Tourism in all over India), Holts Tour (Battlefield and History tours all over the world)
Rights of those whose death is commercialized through dark tourism
Debate over the construction of the viewing platform at Ground Zero, enabling visitors to stand alongside those mourning the loss of loved ones
TOP 10 DARK TOURISM DESTINATIONS
1. Pont de l’Alma Road Tunnel, Paris, France
2. Ground Zero, New York City, USA
3. The River Kwai Bridge, Thailand
4. Auschwitz Concentration Camp, Poland
5. The Zone of Alienation in Chernobyl, Ukraine
6. London Dungeon, UK
7. Devil’s Island, French Guiana
8. Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
9. Cu Chi Tunnels, Saigon, Vietnam
10. Dharavi Slum, Mumbai, India
Define Doomsday tourism?
What's the Top 1 Dark Tourism attraction in the world?
What's the other word for Dark Tourism?