Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Filling your World with Words - Voc. Workshop
Transcript of Filling your World with Words - Voc. Workshop
Input from coursebooks and lessons
WORDS WORDS WORDS
Input from the real world
Input from readers, articles and novels
be able to retrieve new words when you need them
Filling your World with Words
Learning new words in English
be more fluent when you speak
be able to improve the texts you can produce
HOW TO LEARN NEW WORDS
What do you do when you come across a new word?
SYNONYMS / ANTONYMS?
Part of speech
Getting enough input
If you study and learn new words you come across, you will:
understand more listening and reading texts
What words can you study from this text?
How can you organize these words
in your vocabulary notebook?
I love boiled potatoes
Big - Small
Well - Bad
Nice - Awful
Similar - Different
Simple - Elaborated
Hungry - Full
Quickly - Slowly
Dictionary entry: the complete listing
for each word in a dictionary
1- Analyze your dictionary and say if
these sentences are true or false.
USING THE DICTIONARY
Source: English File 2, OUP
My boyfriend and I went to Las Grutas last summer. One night we ordered paella for a
and after waiting for an hour the waiter brought us two grilled trout.
1. _____ A dictionary entry gives the word’s spelling, definition, and pronunciation.
2. _____ A dictionary entry does not identify the number of syllables in a word.
3. _____ An entry says whether nouns are countable or uncountable.
4. _____ A dictionary entry does not mention what category the words are.
5. _____ Dictionary entries do not differentiate between British and American English.
6. _____ Examples of correct usage are not provided in dictionary entries.
7. ______ Some dictionary entries have synonyms and antonyms for a word.
Are there any expressions you need to learn to talk about food?
Is there an umbrella term you can organize the words under?
Can you learn any verb patterns from this text?
Thank you for coming!
volcano - volcanoes
explode vs. erupt
acid ate her legs
the ground opened
lava came out