Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Puritan vs Amish
Transcript of Puritan vs Amish
Paige McDowell Puritan
- Church attendance was mandatory, if you missed you were fined.
- Fundamental Rule: Follow God"s Rule.
- The Bible provided a plan for living.
- They believed in predestination.
- Forgiveness of sin is obtained through the grace of God.
- The believe in salvation through God.
- They believed Jesus died for the chosen ones, not everyone. Religion Puritan
- They required a tax supported school and at least one child must be able to read the Bible.
- Women did not participate in town meetings and were excluded from church decisions.
- Dancing was acceptable but sexual dancing was not allowed.
- Drinking was acceptable but getting drunk was not.
- Man was required to forgive.
-They swam and skated, hunted and fished. Daily Lives Puritan
- The weekly Lord's Day was said to be celebration enough.
- They did not celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving or Easter.
- They felt this was too many holidays to celebrate and any one of them might open the door to idolness and was not encouraged by the church. Things Celebrated Puritan
- Harsh punishment was inflicted when you strayed from God's works.
- Adulterers were executed, however the lucky ones only had to wear a large scarlet A in public.
- Public whippings were common, as well as witch trials.
- People felt no remorse about administering punishment. Punishment Amish
- They practiced adult baptism.
- They practiced communion and feet-washing in the spring or fall.
- Humble about humility
- personal belief in a sign of eternal security is a sign of arrogance.
- Although most believe in salvation by grace, some believe in grace by works.
- The only time an offering is received is in the spring and fall, only twice a year.
- Members join together in singing songs but no musical instruments are used. Amish
- They isolate themselves from society .
- Do not use any technology including electricity.
- Believe strongly in education, but their schools only go to 8Th grade.
- Large families with 7-10 children are common
- Chores are determined by whether you are male or female.
- Amish marry Amish no matter what.
- Divorce is not permitted. Amish
- Shunning is common for those who violate the rules.
- For doing something wrong the bishop would cut off all of the persons hair.
- They treat all punishment the same, whether you dress improperly or rape a child, it will be dealt with equally.
- It is okay to lie about a crime you will not be punished.
- Teachers are required to spank for discipline, if they do not they can lose their job Amish
- They celebrate 4Th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Good Friday and New Years.
- They would never celebrate Halloween, however they can decorate using uncarved pumpkins during the autumn months.
- The holidays they do celebrate are not given any recognition by the church.