Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Untitled Prezi
Last Child Leaving “Empty Nest” The changing function of marriage
The expansion of family relationships to include in-laws and grandchildren
Assisting aging and ill parents of husband and wife
The development of adult-to-adult relationships between grown children and their parents Health Promotion Areas You Expect To See In This Stage Communication issues between parents and young adult
Role transitional problems for husband and wife
Emergence of chronic health problems Family planning for young adult
Effects associated with poor lifestyle choices
Wellness lifestyle What Age Groups
Represent This Stage? Young adulthood is ages 25-45 years old.
Age of parents is mid-40s-mid-60s Age Ranges Of This Stage Have Increased Over Decades Because: 1. Greater life span
2. Through health promotion, we are maintaining our characteristics of young adulthood.
3. Putting developmental tasks on hold while attending college
4. More couples are delaying having children well into their thirties, which in turn delays achieving tasks of young adulthood
5. Age of menopause is greater than previous generations
6. Cosmetic surgery has allowed adults to stay “young” longer Tasks For The Parent 1. Rearrange of the home; addition of free room and material objects
2. Making sure the financial needs are met of the whole family
3. Redistribute the responsibilities among the whole family
4. Keeping open lines communication and remaining available to the whole family
5. Enjoying and maintaining companionship and sexual intimacy as couple facing changes
6. Widening the family circle
7. Reconciling conflicting philosophies on life Some Health Promotions - Validation for parents that they can now take solace in knowing that they did their job of raising their children and guiding them into adulthood.
- Present to parent that this is a new chapter in life requiring acceptance. -Encourage parent to accept this change as a time to focus on themselves and not to transfer all their new found attention to the other spouse.
-Take up a new hobby or rekindle an old one that was put to the side when children were first born.
-Assess support from others and encourage parents to reconnect with loved ones and friends, especially for single parents. May decide to base the
of living around:
age, work or leisure,
profession, or marriage
•Remaining unmarried and following
a specific lifestyle
•Pursue prolonged education want to
become established in
•Free of relationships, sample a
variety of lifestyles, traveling Singlehood •The couple or single person
offset loneliness, attempt to hold a
•Feeling of power,
representation of wealth,
heir of family name/business, religious convictions Family Planning:
Expectancy & Parenthood Stages CDC recommends that colleges and universities require documentation that vaccines are up to date prior to registration
Young adults should obtain:Influenza vaccine each fall Tetanus-diphtheria (Td) booster Health promotion:
Educate about the importance of maintaining recommended immunizations and a personal record of type and date Safety and Accident Prevention - Motor vehicle accidents, industrial accidents and drowning – major causes of accidental death
- Injuries and death from leisure activities
- Especially if drugs and alcohol are involved, bad weather, amateurs
- Other typical injuries: Fractures, dislocations, lacerations, abrasions and contusions
- Require restriction of activity leads to social and economic problems Health Promotion - Discuss Stressors associated with work – negative attitudes can contribute to accidents - Educate about defensive driving, avoiding alcoholic beverages or drugs while driving or engaged in water, mountain or other sports and observe safety precautions for the specific activity - Explore factors that increase anger and aggressive feelings – these factors can contribute to risk taking, accidents and injuries or death Health Promotion Screening -Breast, testicular, skin, colon/rectum, mouth exams: self-examinations and clinical testing
-B/P measurement periodically
-Blood glucose every 1-3 years
-Lipid panel every 4 years
-Dental examine and cleaning: 2 per year
-Bone density index (BDI): every 1-3 years (beginning in late young adulthood)
-MRI, mammograms, chest x-ray, EKGs Regular screening tests should be done to obtain baseline data Coping with extreme change taxes the person physically and psychologically affects achievement of developmental tasks, and may be susceptible to physical disease Health Promotion: Biofeedback training is defined as learning to control body functions once considered involuntary. Promote healthy eating, exercising, and exploring resources. Emotional Health Problems
and Physical Effects Stress reactions are physiologic and psychological changes, including Alarm, Resistance, and Exhaustion stages resulting in illness, unusual or disturbed adaptive behavior patterns or depression Mate selection, marriage, child rearing, college, job demands, social expectations, and independent decision making are all stressors of this stage Health Promotion is essential. Again, eating healthy and exercising will help relieve these stressors. Make sure to stay away from self destructive behaviors such as alcoholism, drug abuse, eating disorders, and smoking Intimate Partner Violence Intimate Partner Violence is a pattern of assaultive and coercive behaviors that the person uses against current or former intimate partners, those living together, married, or divorced Health Promotion: Have victim talk about their feelings, provide emergency physical care, and formulate a
plan to resolve circumstance Social Health Problems:
Divorce and Abortion
KEY: for parents to continue showing love to their children and to maintain open communication between them about the offspring
There is no healthy or loving model to follow. However, people may intentionally work to model the marriage after another’s happy and healthy marriage. Abortion: Termination of unwanted pregnancy Educate, Educate!
Physical complications and risk of preterm delivery in future pregnancies
Psychological consequences Considerable effort and time is needed.
For divorced families, help identify and pursue personal goals. Establish group sessions
to talk about issues in regards to divorce. Divorce: Termination
of Marriage ARE YOU READY?!
LETS PLAY SOME TRIVIA 1. Cosmetic surgery
2. Practice of health promotion behaviors
3. Families putting off having kids
4. People are living longer
5. All of the above Why is the age range of this stage extending? 1. Some men experience a growth spurt around 30 years old
2. Some women might shrink a few inches because calcium is escaping her body
3. Both sexes can experience growth spurt after puberty well into their 30s
4. Physical growth is completed by age 25 What’s the expected physical growth changes during this stage? 1. Educate the patient that her eggs are getting old and that she might end up having a child with Down Syndrome
2. Ask the patient if she has ever considered that she might be a lesbian
3. Nothing, it is normal for person to choose to remain single
4. Suggest an over 30s online dating website for the patient What nursing intervention would you do for a patient who is a 32 year old nurse who has been living on her own for 5 years, single, and has no plans or concerns about getting married or having children? More people are maintaining their
young adult characteristics longer
through health promotion behaviors. 1. True
2. False What can parents do to cope while
their children are launching? 1. Call their children to see if they are homesick and if they would consider to move back in
2. Direct all attention to their significant other
3. Avoid talking to others who have not gone through this firsthand, they will not understand
4. Rekindle an old hobby or passion like photography, reading, gardening, golf, etc. Nearly a quarter of a million young people leave home every year. Some leave before their eighteenth birthday; most after their twentieth. Which gender leaves home on average two years earlier than the other? 1. Males