Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Science Fair Project
Transcript of Science Fair Project
Does listening to music while studying affect your ability to learn and memorize facts?
If a student is listening to music while studying, then they will be able to memorize more facts.
The reason we think it will is because when we use music personally while studying it helps us to concentrate. It helps us block out other distractions and helps the study material stay in our head along with the music.
Studies show that listening to music does help the majority of people when studying. Research says that music engages the area of the brain that is involved in paying attention, making predictions and updating the event in memory.
Other research shows that music relaxes your brain, making it easier to concentrate.
Several other studies also show that when listening to music it can help alter your mood and feelings. Putting you in a better mood than you were before. Hence, putting you in a mood to study.
A recent study in Illinois shows that a majority of college students find listening to music while studying more beneficial.
1. Compose a list of 20 facts that fall into the categories of Health & Fitness, Sports Statistics, Insects, and Language Arts & Literature
2. Compose a test 15 of the facts from the list in the format of multiple choice, fill in the blank and true or false.
3. Give the list of facts to 4 people listening to music, 2 boys 2 girls, for 20 minutes.
4. Give the composed test to the same set of kids for 15 minutes.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 without music.
6. Grade all test papers and analyze results
- the number of insect species is believed to be between 6 and 10 million
- only male crickets chirp
- insects have two antennae
-some cicadas can make sounds up to 120 decibels loud. -Silkworms are used as the primary producer of silk.
Health and Fitness
- Over the past 30 years, the amount of overweight kids has doubled and the amount of overweight teens has tripled.
- It takes your brain approximately 20 minutes to know your stomach is full
-over 300,000 deaths per year are caused by poor nutrition and lack of physical activity
- A can of soda contains 10 teaspoons of sugar
- in the United States, obesity is second only to smoking as a cause of death
- Keenan McCardell is 9th in career receptions
- Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.
- the referee tossed a jump ball after every basket in basketball until 1937
- the average lifespan of an MLB is about 5 to 7 pitches
- Pittsburgh is the only American city with three sports teams that wear the same colors
Language Arts; Literature and Grammar
- “The Mouse Trap,” by Agatha Christie is the longest running play in history
- Bilbo Baggins was born on September 22, 1290
- the only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is “uncopyrightable”
- pacing yourself with your finger while reading allows to read faster
- no word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, and purple
~8 Lists of 20 facts
~8 Test w/ 15 facts
~1 Answer key to test
~4 pairs of headphones
~16 sheets of lined paper
~ 8 pencils
1. What is the only 15-letter word spelled without repeating a letter?_______________________________________ 2. Which American city is the only to have three sports teams that all wear the same colors?A. PanamaB. PittsburghC. Green BayD. None of the Above
3. Fill in the blank.In the US, obesity is second only to ________________ as a cause of death.4. Some cicadas can make sound up to _____ decibels loud. A. 125B. 130C. 100D. 120
5. True or False?
The longest running play in history was “The Mouse Trap.” __________
6. About how many deaths per year are caused by poor nutrition and lack of physical activity?
7. The referee tossed a jump ball after every basket in basketball until what year?A. 1937B. 1927C. 1934D. 19268. True or False?Only male crickets chirp. ____________
9. Approximately how long does it take for your brain to know that your stomach is full? A. 15 minutesB. 10 minutesC. 20 minutesD. 25 minutes 10. Write the 4 words in the English language that rhymes with no word. ______________, _____________,_______________,_______________
11. What company does Michael Jordan make a lot of money from? A. AdidasB. Under ArmorC. New BalanceD. Nike 12. The number of insect species is believed to be between ___ and ___ million. A. 5 and 10B. 6 and 10C. 4 and 9D. 6 and 9
13. True or False?Pacing yourself with your finger while reading allows you to read faster. ____________ 14. Fill in the blank(s).Over the past 30 years, the amount of overweight kids has ______________ and the amount of overweight tens has ______________.
15. Keenan McCardell is _____ in career receptions.A. 9thB. 8thC. 7thD. 1st
Independent- With or Without Music
Dependent- Test Scores
Controlled- Test, Study Guide, Time, and Playlist
After the test, we have figured out that studying with music has a negative effect on remembering facts. The difference between with and without music test averages is significantly large. (15%)
Our hypothesis was incorrect because we thought music would have a positive effect on studying abilities. While our test did prove that studying with music has a negative effect, in some cases the music will have a positive effect on the people(because of peoples personal preferences).
So, in the future we would like to test different people and see if we still get the same results.
Midori Salgado and Alexa Skrinak