Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Million Dollar Baby
Transcript of Million Dollar Baby
- Doesn’t want to risk his fighters getting hurt
- Redemption through helping a female
boxer become a professional boxer with a title Gender Role and Steryotypes - Million Dollar Baby, tries to makes traditional gender roles obsolete, there is still see a focus on the main characters feminine side
- Main Character follows her dream with determination, strength, faith and hard work
- She works to transcend female stereotype but, as a direct consequence of this success she must die
- Steps far out from the standard feminine role Maggie Fitzgerald Do you think a woman who had been brought up in middle or upper class society would be in her circumstances? NO WAY 'Love is a mnay Splendid thing' 'A Place in the Sun' 'Empire Falls' In the film there is a need to make the representation of the female gender role obsolete, considering boxing is such a male domineered sport. Setting - Gender is represented is through the setting of the film
- Portrayed through the male characters and the films main setting, boxing
- Main settings include boxing rings and the gym ‘The Hit Pit’
- The gym in particular is a male dominated ‘zone’. We see the female lead often ridiculed by other members 'The Hit pit' - Ridiculed for being
at ‘male gym’
- Use derogitry dialogue to
convey the mood
- Dull lighting conveys the
masculinity yet threatening
tone to the conversation
- Presentation of the gym
conveys the male dominance
- Use of male extras is an
obvious way to convey the
strangeness of a female in this
particular area. - Gender inequalities are an important part of looking at how gender is represented
- Looking at gender inequalities in the film has shown another example to me of oppression of female characters Maggies success dependant upon a maleWhile we see
- Idolizes father not mother
- Inequality between male, female characters represents the female gender role as one under the male.
-Representation of gender is very limited. Gender Inequalities Maggie Fitzgerald and Frankie Dunn Maggie Fitzgerald Million Dollar Baby Gender Roles Setting Gender