Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Copy of Dead Stars by Paz Marquez Benitez
Transcript of Copy of Copy of Dead Stars by Paz Marquez Benitez
- Her short story, Dead Stars, is considered the first modern Philippine short story.
- Her journals, which are inscribed in two hard-bound volumes, can be found at the Ateneo Library of Women Writings (ALIWW).
"Whatever my shortcomings, and
no doubt they are many in your eyes,
I have never gone out of my way,
of my place, to find a man."
Background of the Author
- was born in Lucena City, Quezon Province
- came from a family that is well-known for being prosperous and outstanding.
- She graduated from the University of the Philippines in 1912 where she also became a professor that teaches about short story writing.
QUOTES from DEAD STARS
“Did you ever have to choose between something you wanted to do and something you have to do?”
“One tries to be fair--according to his lights--but it is hard. One would like to be fair to one's self first. But that is too easy, one does not dare--"
- She is considered as the first modern English language short story writer.
- Her literary publications were just limited to two short stories (Dead Stars and A Night in the Hills) but she had important editorial and academic positions as well as a very high social standing.
Dead Stars by Paz Marquez Benitez
"If you mean you want to take back your word, if you are tired of--why don't you tell me you are tired of me?"
“So all these years—since when?—he had been seeing the light of dead stars, long extinguished, yet seemingly still in their appointed places in the heavens.”
“Why would men so mismanage their lives? Greed, he thought, was what ruined so many. Greed--the desire to crowd into a moment all the enjoyment it will hold, to squeeze from the hour all the emotion it will yield. Men commit themselves when but half-meaning to do so, sacrificing possible future fullness of ecstasy to the craving for immediate excitement. Greed--mortgaging the future--forcing the hand of Time, or of Fate.”
“Love—he seemed to have missed it. Or was the love that others told about a mere fabrication of perfervid imagination, an exaggeration of the commonplace, a glorification of insipid monotonies such as made up his love life? Was love a combination of circumstances, or sheer native capacity of soul? In those days love was, for him, still the eternal puzzle; for love, as he knew it, was a stranger to love as he divined it might be.”
DEAD STARS SUMMARY
(1894 to 1983)
This story revolves around Alfredo Salazar and two women: Esperanza, his fiancéefor four years and a young girl from out-of-town named Julia Salas. Alfredo iscommitted to marrying Esperanza. But he started having second thoughts about hisfeelings when he met Julia in the Judge’s house. But he Aware that all his lovedones-including Julia would not agree if he would not honor his understanding withEsperanza. So he and Esperanza got married And made a family. After eight years, hemet Julia. And then realized that his feelings for Julia was gone. He compares hislove for Julia with a Dead Star.
A Night in the Hills is a very moving story about the life of Gerado Luna, a salesmen in a jewelery store in the Intramuros area of Manila. It is also in a form of allegory in which the forest is defined by Gerardo as heaven, where he can find things he missed and so he wished to have.
The story is about a bachelor and his fiancee who's passion he has lost sight in, and another woman who he is attracted to.