Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of hedgehogs
2) African white-bellied Hedgehog
3) Desert Hedgehog
4) Long-eared Hedgehog - When confronted with an interesting scent, the hedgehog will lick and bite the object, creating a scented saliva in its mouth. They will then smear this spittle along their spines. This is called "self-anointing." Scientists don't know why hedgehogs do this. - Hedgehogs that live in more temperate climates, where there is no need for hibernation or estivation, may enter hibernation when food is scarce. -The hedgehog is born with its spines lying just under the skin. The spines will "sprout" 2-3 days after they are born.
-Not many creatures prey on hedgehogs, ferrets and owls being among the few. However, adult male hedgehogs will prey on newborns, thereby forcing female hedgehogs to rigorously guard their nests -Female hedgehogs have a recommended maximum two litters a year -Hedgehogs have poor eyesight, but have a great sense of smell -The breeding season of a hedgehog is around April to September, while the main period of activity is May and June.
- The babies of a hedgehog have a high mortality rate -The babies of a hedgehog leave their mother as well as their nest when they are around 4-5 weeks old - The hedgehog species is believed to be as much as around ten million years old - Hedgehogs are frequently depicted as offerings in tomb reliefs of the Old Kingdom and, more rarely, in hunting scenes amidst larger animals in full flight. -Hedgehogs prefer to live apart from other members of their own species, however, can form a tight bond with their human counterparts - -Hedgehogs prefer controlled periods of light and darkness, as well as undisturbed periods of rest. -Hedgehogs have very sensitive senses of smell and hearing. They can even hear in the ultrasonic range.
-If necessary, a hedgehog can run over six feet per second. In fact, many hedgehogs will attempt to escape an attacker before they roll into a protective, spiny ball.
Short, prickly spines cover a hedgehog's entire back. Also known as quills, these defensive tools are really modified, hollow hairs and are not poisonous or barbed.
European Hedgehogs - It can be 7 to 12 inches long with a tail 1/2 to 2 inches long and weighs 21 to 28 ounces. - It has a normal coat and long, thick spines that are over 1 inch long - They are gray at the bottom to brownish-black on top, and the underbody fur is a yellowish-brown to dark brown in color. They have a set of long whiskers on either side of their long snout African white-bellied Hedgehog - It can be 6 inches long with only a stub of a tail - It weighs 18 to 25 ounces. They have five toes on the front feet and four toes on the back feet - - Their quills are less than 1 inch long in color, the quills are called salt and pepper - The snout is tan with the fur on the cheeks, belly and legs being white. - This is the most common color variation Desert Hedgehog - The desert hedghog is the smallest hedgehog, It is 5 1/2 to 11 inches long It weighs 10-18 ounces. - The spines can be wrinkled and the color can be dark to light colors, It can also be a mix of brown, yellow, white, and black - The rounded ears and the pointed snout are brown - The forehead and sides are white - The feet and tail are dark brown Long-eared Hedgehog.
- - It is thinner and stands higher on its legs - The snout is sharply pointed and it has large pointed ears - The back is cream-colored quills with the face being white or brownish in color - The legs and tail are white and the feet are gray-brown The belly is light brown to white - * The large ears help it to cool itself in the heat Types of hedgehogs THE END Donnie Daniels