Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Formal charge and orbital overlap
Transcript of Formal charge and orbital overlap
HL To know hw to arrive at 'formal charge'
HL To know that bonding is the result of orbital overlap
SL/HL To demonstrate our understandings
Or, Formal charge is the difference between the number of valence electrons of each atom and the number of electrons the atom is associated with. Formal charge assumes any shared electrons are equally shared between the two bonded atoms.
E.g on Carbon Dioixde
Red = S
Yellow = Px
Purple = Py
Orange = Pz
Draw what you thnk the CARBONATE ion looks like....
In chemistry, a formal charge (FC) is the charge assigned to an atom in a molecule, assuming that electrons in all chemical bonds are shared equally between atoms, regardless of relative electronegativity.
Have a try...