Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Energy Transformation
a unit called calorie. A. Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. B. Every time an object does work on another object, some of its energy is transferred to that object. Examples:
solar calculator: light chemical
windmill: solar thermal mechanical
firecracker: chemical thermal sound Energy Transformation
When energy is transformed from
one object to another. Energy Forms of Energy A. Thermal Energy
1. Therm- means HEAT, therefore thermal energy is HEAT energy.
2. The faster the particles that make up an object are MOVING, the more thermal energy an object has.
3. HEAT moves in a predictable pattern. It moves from HOT to COLD objects.
4. There are 3 types of thermal energy: Conduction - the transfer of heat through direct contact.
Convection - the transfer of heat in a liquid or gas.
Radiation - the transfer of energy by light waves. Example:
When you place a pot on the stove, a stove's heating element transfers energy to the pan.
Now YOU write an example. B. Chemical Energy
1. Chemical Energy is the energy stored in a substance
that can be released when the substance reacts. a. Example:
An apple contains stored,
chemical energy. An apple is potential, chemical energy
waiting to be released when digested.
Now YOU write an example. C. Mechanical Energy
1. Mechanical energy is the energy of motion. Now YOU write an
example. Example: When a person runs during
a soccer game, their movement is
mechanical energy. D. Electrical Energy:
1. Electrical energy is energy of moving electrons
2. Chemical energy in a battery creates
electricity Example: When you plug Example: When you plug in a lamp,
the electrons run through the wires
to create electricity. Now YOU write an example. E. Solar Energy
1. Energy from the
sun in the form
waves). Teacher Demo Mechanical Chemical Light
Sound Example: Photovoltaic cells absorb the
sun's radiation to power a solar school
zone light to let drivers know they are
in a school zone and to slow down. Now YOU write an
example. C. Energy is measured using
a unit called a calorie. Transformation: the act of transforming into
a different shape, form or appearance. light F. Nuclear Energy
1. Created by fission- splitting of atoms.
2. Can also be created by fusion - at high temperatures, pressure forces the atoms together. Example:
In a nuclear reactor, Uranium
atoms are split causing water
to boil. The boiling water produces
steam that turns turbines to
create electricity. Now YOU write
an example. G. Sound Energy
1. Energy in waves that
causes the eardrum to
vibrate. Example: When I play the drums, the
beating of the drums vibrates the air
molecules around it sending sound waves
to my eardrums. Now YOU write an
example. Energy Transformation Examples
The car driving down the street is
transforming the chemical energy
in the gas to mechanical energy
(the motion of the car). Make sure you use arrows to show the flow of energy
from beginning to end.
1. Use the car and track; explain how the energy has transformed from beginning to end. Mechanical Mechanical 2. Use the spinner, explain how the
energy has transformed from beginning
to end. Mechanical Mechanical 3. Use the popper, explain how the energy
has transformed from beginning to end. Mechanical Sound Mechanical 4. Use the clapper, explain how the energy has transformed from beginning to end. Mechanical Sound 5. Explain how energy is transformed in
the two sets of pictures below. Make sure you
include arrows to show the flow of
energy from beginning to end. Mechanical Chemical Mechanical
Chemical Electrical Mechanical Sound