Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Influencing Government
provide gov with research and expertise
influence public opinion
lay the ground work for new leglislation, environmental policies, and government services
2 Types of Pressure groups:
Institutionalized and Issue -oriented groups eg -a group who lobby a local government to have a traffic light installed (like at Courtenay and 10th ave)
Once they are successful, they disband issues with pressure groups and lobbyists
They can be quite powerful and perhaps represent an unpopular view
If pressure groups are too successful, is democracy put at risk? Mass Media
>chief method of communicating ideas
and information in our society.
>most citizens get their day-to-day information about
the government from the media
>Media reports on what it thinks is important -but may not
accurately reflect a community's views Ownership of media has become
We are getting our news from fewer sources
Can the ideas and views of Canadians be
represented accurately and fairly by a select and powerful group? Civil Disobedience:
the act of intentionally breaking,
or refusing to keep, laws one considers unjust. 1. Civil disobedience should not involve violence
2. CD should be directed against laws that are seriously harmful.
3. CD requires taking responsibility for one's actions. Willingness to face punishment shows the strength of one's beliefs. why are these guidelines an
important part of this approach to changing government policies?