Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Igbo Religion
The Igbo people were converted to Christianity (Catholicism) in the mid to late 1800's.
They also believe in an evil god or satan. He is given the name Ala
The Igbo people belived in one creator known as Chineke or Chukwu.
He is known as the creator of the visible universe.
Origin of Religion
The conversion happened because of The Third Great Awakening, The Age of Imperialism,and Colonialsim.
Why the conversion?
Outcasts of the
Mothers wanted to save their children.
to be educated
in the church.
They believed the church had special powers.
The missionaries objective was to rebuild the Igbo society in a better way while incorporating God in their lives.
Before the influence of Europeans and Christian missions most Igbo practiced some form of ancestor worship.
The ibo believed only way to succeed in this world is to please the deceased.
Their main way of worship was by song