Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Social Service Work
Transcript of Social Service Work
design by Dóri Sirály for Prezi
Soft Skills: 9 essential Skills
Hard Skills: Working with others, experience
What is Social work?
Bachelor of science in social work (BSW)
* master degree in social work (MSW)
doctorate or Ph.D. Degree
Skills and Abilities Required
Working Conditions/ Lifestyle Impacts
Current and projected job openings
Employment grew at an average rate
Current (2013-2017): Average Previous
(2009-2013): Above Average
Employment (non-student) in 2012: 150,358
By: Amreen A, Ismahan A, Essence M, Maryam S and Amy L
Type of Supervision
Work Related Travel
Varies from province to province
register with their provincial regulatory body.
affiliate=visit casw acts fill out the forms.
Employing Organizations/Becoming Employed
Organizations who hire persons in this occupation
Can people be self-employed ?
How to find employment in this occupation?
Is there internships, volunteering, job fairs, faculty referrals, websites ?
Thank You For Listening!
What is a social service worker?. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
Social Worker. (2014, January 1). Retrieved November 20, 2014,from http://careerplanning.about.com/od/socialworker/tp/How-To-Become-A- Social-Worker.htm
Explore Careers by Essential Skills. (2013, September 5). Retrieved November 20, 2014, from http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/es_search-eng.do? source=2&titleKeyword=Social Service Worker&action=Search
Community and Social Service Workers. (2013, September 5). Retrieved November 20, 2014, from http://www.schoolfinderis.com/careers/Requirements/4212com/Community- and-Social-Service-Workers
Namavarian, A. (2014, July 30). Personal Support Worker. Retrieved November 21, 2014, from http://www.ipe.uwo.ca/Professionals/psw.html#3
Personal Support Worker. (2014, July 15). Retrieved November 21, 2014, from http://www.settlement.org/alternativejobs/career.aspx?j=40
Personal Support Worker (PSW) Salary (Canada). (2014, January 1). Retrieved November 20, 2014, from http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Personal_Support_Worker_(PSW)/Hourly_Rate
A) Stay home and argue that you are suppose to have the weekend off
B) Do not follow up with the case
C) Follow up with the child, occasional evening and weekend work is necessary
D) Quit your job because you never get a day off
Scenario #5 Possible Answers
A) Give the nurse all the information that was told, in great detail
B) Give the nurse hints as to what the elderly man has said
C) Tell the nurse that their is a client/customer based confidentiality agreement
D) Tell the nurse that it cannot be discussed on the job but if they meet elsewhere, you can give the information
Scenario #3 Possible Answers
A) Approach the child and ask if they are being sexually hurt by someone at home
B) Lie and say that you don't see any signs and allow the child to continue their normal routine
C) Call the parents and ask them to come to the school, explain to them that you see signs of sexual abuse and need to take that child out of the home
D) Follow up on the child regularly by going to their home, if the signs are continuous the child will then be removed from the home as a last resort.
Scenario #2 Possible Answers
A) Turn her away and tell her there is nothing you can do
B) Tell her she isn't smart for getting pregnant at a young age
C) Welcome her into your office, seat her, ask her everything that
has happened and explain to her that she has come to the right place.
D) Refer her to someone else who could be of better help
Scenario #1 Possible Answers
Scenario #4 Possible Answers
A) I did a masters in Social Work, I am excellent with people, I have great communication skills and a great amount of experience in community work
B) I have a bachelors in Social Work and good customer/client based interaction
C) I have a high school diploma and I have good communication skills
COURSES FOR BSW
Introduction to Social Welfare and Human Services
Principles and Practice in Social Work
Human Behavior Theory
Issues In Social Welfare
Social Work Practice in Research
Statistics For Social Work Research
(1) Explore Careers by Essential Skills. (2013, September 5). Retrieved November 20, 2014, from http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/es_search-eng.do? source=2&
titleKeyword=Social Service Worker&action=Search
(2) Personal Support Worker. (2014, July 15). Retrieved November 21, 2014, from http://www.settlement.org/alternativejobs/career.aspx?j=40
(3) Personal Support Worker (PSW) Salary (Canada). (2014, January 1). Retrieved November 20, 2014, from http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job
(4) Social worker: Salary and conditions. (2013, December 1). Retrieved November 28, 2014, from http://www.prospects.ac.uk/social_worker_salary.htm
(5) What is a social service worker?. Retrieved November 23, 2014. http://www.ocswssw.org/en/about_ssw.htm
(6) Labour Market Information. (2012, October 12). Retrieved November 29, 2014, from http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/labourmarket/
(7) NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF SOCIAL WORKERS. (n.d.). Retrieved November 30, 2014, from http://www.socialworkers.org/practice/standards
(8) Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration / Ministère des affaires civiques et de l'immigration. (n.d.). Retrieved November 28, 2014, from http://www.ontario
(9) Certificates license and affiliation. (n.d.). Retrieved November 28, 2014, from http://www.careercruising.ca
(10) Organizations. (n.d.). Retrieved November 28, 2014, from http://www.ipe.uwo.ca/Professionals/psw.html#3
COURSES FOR MSW
Thank you for listening!
Entry Level (0-5 years)
Mid-career (5-10 years)
Experienced (10-20 years)
Child Abuse and Neglect
Social Work With Children and Adolescents
Practice in Home and Community Settings with Older Adults (5)
Demand for social workers (7)
Immense expansion of the use of information technology in social work practice. (7)
87% of workers in this occupation work full-time, compared to the average of 81% for all occupations.
83% of social workers are female, compared to 48% for all occupations.
building block of a community