Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Arid Climate
Where is it Usually Located?
of the Earth's land is covered in Arid climate.
Most deserts are found along the
latitude line (north and south of the equator).
of the worlds’ surface and an estimated
of the population live in desert cities located in regions using the definition of extremely arid, arid or semi-arid.
When population live in dry lands, they usually live in
oases and valleys in coastal areas and in the mineral-rich regions.
What Seasons Does it Have?
Some places have changes in temperature depending on the latitude and the surrounding climates, so because of temperature differences we have only
summer and winter seasons.
How Much Precipitation Does it Receive?
To have an Arid climate, an area must receive less than 10 inches of rain per year.
Some deserts around the world don't receive 10 inches of rain in 10 years!
(e.g The Atacama Desert in Chile is known as the driest place on Earth). It averages 0.04 inches of rain each year. ( pictured below)
What Kinds of Vegetation (Plants) Does it Have?
There is often much less than 250mm of rain a year here, meaning there is little vegetation.
- Plants must either require very little water or be able to store water.
- The plants often have long roots and thorns.
such as Seder, Samar, seasonal grasses, and cactus.
On the map above you can see areas of cold desert (light red) and hot desert (dark red).
What are the Temperatures like?
The air pressure is high, so skies are often very clear and temperatures are high. Deserts often reach a maximum of 40–45°C (104–113°F).
- Depend on the latitude of the desert.
- Far or near to the equator.
- < 87.3 mm/year average rainfall
- High evaporation rate (2-3m/year)
- Low groundwater recharge rate (<4% of total annual water used)
- Air humidity 59%/year
UAE arid climate with:
What is arid climate and what are its characteristics?
Where is it usually located?
What seasons does it have?
What are the temperatures like?
How much precipitation does it receive?
What kinds of vegetation (plants) does it have?
What kind of animals does it usually have?
UAE arid climate
What Kind of Animals Does it Usually Have?
Some animals have adapted to the lack of water and extreme temperature to survive in an Arid climate.
store water in their bloodstream and can drink
40 gallons of water in 10 minutes
, allowing them to go days without water.
Foxes, Antelopes, Snakes and scorpions.