Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Air Pressure
2. Does air take up space? Focus Questions: Today's Agenda Weather Journal 1. Weather journal
2. Evidence that air takes up space: balloon
3. Evidence that air exerts pressure: videos
4. Air Pressure & Weather
(Venn Diagram / foldable)
6. Tweet 1. What is air pressure, and how does it affect the weather?
2. What is the difference between high and low air pressure, and how can we use this information to predict the weather? -Does air take up space?
-Does air have mass? What did we learn? -Air takes up space
-Air has weight
-Air wants to move from high pressure to low pressure Air Pressure: force of the air pressing down on the earth's surface
-even though air is invisible, it has weight, takes up space, and exerts pressure High Pressure -Usually bring nice, sunny weather, with light winds
-Mass of cool, dry, air
-Whirl in a clockwise rotation
-Warmer weather Low Pressure -Usually brings stormy weather, with strong winds
-mass of warm, moist air
-colder weather Blue lines: Cold fronts
-cold air replaces warm air
Red lines: Warm fronts
-warm air replaces cooler air Air Fronts -boundary between two different air masses (high and low pressure areas)
-Wind pushes them so that they move from place to place
-Move and change the weather
example: It is warm and sunny today. A cold front moves in overnight and changes the weather to cloudy and cold Balloon
Demonstration What is an Air Front? Warm Front Cold Front -Warm air mass meets and rises above a cold air mass
-slow, steady rain
-hot, humid weather follows
-gentle slope -Cold air mass overtakes and pushes under warm air mass
-Heavy rain, violent thunderstorms
-fair, cool weather follows
-steeper slope Both... -Air has pressure
-Influence the weather
-direction of travel: high to low pressure -Differences in air pressure occur because the earth is warmer at the equator than at the poles (UNEVEN heating of the earth's surface!)
-Air moves N and S to try and balance the the pressure difference What Creates Air Pressure? Evidence that:
1. Air has pressure
2. Air travels from High
Pressure --> Low pressure Grade 5 Tweets @Your Name 1. Write down two things you learned today about air pressure and weather fronts. #________________