Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Moral Laws of the Jungle
Aurora de la Puenteon 19 February 2014
Transcript of Moral Laws of the Jungle
The Help Principle
The Evolution of Moral Facts
Moral Laws of the Jungle
By Iain King (2014)
Further Benefits of the Help Principle
1. Defining our shared moral law
3. Personal opinion
We imagine ourselves in the position of other people.
It is one-to-one.
Psychopathic people (1% of the world's population) are not able to experience empathy.
1. Location mistake
Why we disagree with the
"Help Principle" proposal
2. Is it right to discriminate psychopathic people just because they are a "minority"?
1% of world's population= 70.000.000 people
The percentage of gay/lesbian people in the USA is 1.7 % of the total population
Person: Philosophical concept which expresses the singularity of each individual belonging to the human species
Total population of:
3. Empathy and psychopathy
Level of Empathy
"Played out over thousands of generations, communities of people with an instinctive revulsion for murder would win out"
"Help principle" applies to lies
"Thinking about maximizing happiness can make you very unhappy"
Based on the virtue of EMPATHY
It can offer advice, and always help us
with the global and philosophical question:
What should we do?
Genesis: It is universal
It can be
the principle doesn't work with psychopaths
Avoids the need of achieve the utilitarian
to reach the highest amount of happiness for everyone
THE SETS OF PRINCIPLES WOULD LINED UP WITH MOST PEOPLE MORAL INSTITUTIONS
4. Does it really answer the "What should we do" question?
5. Are the moral values of of South Sudan comparable with those of England?
Evolution in action
We judge in our heads something as right or wrong, and that judgement determines our actions, and makes us prefer some kind of behaviours above others. This makes the moral facts, real facts of the world.